Multiple Map Services or One combined

03-28-2013 05:32 AM
GeorgeKatsambas
Occasional Contributor III
I have separate Map Services of lines, polygons and points that when loaded to ArcGIS Server run perfectly and labels show up. If I combine my points, layers and polygons into one mxd and load that as a service then I am missing all my labels. I was using maplex but switched to the standard label engine, still no labels. I was told one combined service results in less memory usuage on server. Is this common, for labels only to show in individual map services? I am using flex builder 3.1 to load my services.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
George,

Guys,

It sounds like you issue is how you are adding the layer in App Builder. If you look in my  attached graphic you will see when I choose a map service and chick on a  map service (represented by the folder icon, number one in the image)  and then click the Include button. It will add the Whole map service as a  dynamic layer (that supports the drawing of label that are setup in  ArcMap). You you double click the folder then you get a list of  individual layers of that map service and when you choose one of those  layers and click include that LAYER of the Map Service gets add and is  added to the map as a feature layer (which does not support labeling).  So just click the map service folder (not choosing individual layers)  and you will be able to add dynamic layers to the map.

0 Kudos
GeorgeKatsambas
Occasional Contributor III
Thanks Robert, adding it as a Dynamic Service does help with the labelling, slows it down significantly however. I think multiple Map services are better but its draining usuage on server.
0 Kudos