Select to view content in your preferred language

How to use Flex Viewer 3.6 to publish online web app?

Jump to solution
08-07-2014 01:04 PM
LeiZhou
Deactivated User

When I use Flex Viewer 3.6 to create an app, after it is done and export to a folder, how do I publish the app to the server? I tried to copy the folder to the server, but it is not working.  When using Flash Builder, there is a function 'export release build', click on that and then just copy the exported folder to the server, it is online.  What if I don't use flash builder, can I let Flex Viewer 3.6 to publish app online? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Lei,

No you can not import the output of the App Builder into Flash Builder. The output from App Builder is fully compiled swf files and Flash Builder is expecting uncompiled mxml and as files. The output from App Builder should work just fine when you move it to your Web Server (if using IIS then you copy the contents of your projects folder, i.e. assets, popups, widgets, config.xml, index,html, index.swf, etc to a new folder in IIS wwwroot, and then in IIS make that folder an application). I have done this a dozen times without issue.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Lei,

So it sounds like you are asking about using the Application Builder for Flex. Normally when you setup App Builder it asks you for the location of your Web Servers Base Folder and Web Servers Base Folder URL. So when you build an viewer app using App Builder it will write all the files to that folder. Now if you want to take that application and move it to a new Web Server than you just go into flexviewers folder and and find your folder for the app your configured and open it and copy the contents of that folder over to your new web server.

LeiZhou
Deactivated User

Yes, I tried that but it is not working.  I found that after using Flex Viewer 3.6 to create one web app and it writes all the files to the folder, I examined all the files.  Then I compare these files with the files that are exported from Flash Builder, they are different.  The Flash builder has a bin-release folder, but the Flex Viewer 3.6 does not have that. 

I also tried to import the folder (which is created by App Builder) into Flash Builder, but it can not be even imported.  What I thought is that I can import this project into Flex and then use Flex to 'export to release' the whole project.  But it is not working.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Lei,

No you can not import the output of the App Builder into Flash Builder. The output from App Builder is fully compiled swf files and Flash Builder is expecting uncompiled mxml and as files. The output from App Builder should work just fine when you move it to your Web Server (if using IIS then you copy the contents of your projects folder, i.e. assets, popups, widgets, config.xml, index,html, index.swf, etc to a new folder in IIS wwwroot, and then in IIS make that folder an application). I have done this a dozen times without issue.

LeiZhou
Deactivated User

Do you mean the Web Server like IIS is on my own computer? We usually copy the files to our organization's server side.  When we use Flex, after 'Export release builder',  we copy the whole project folder to the server; the compiled swf files are inside one of the folder called 'bin-release', but there are also folders called '.settings', 'bin-debug', 'html-template', 'libs', 'locales', 'src', and files including .actionScriptProperties, .flexProperties, .fxpProperties, .project.    All these are copied to our server.  But the output from App Builder only contains compiled swf files, seems they are those files from bin-release folder in flex.   Thanks!

0 Kudos
LeiZhou
Deactivated User

I think I got what you mean.  We don't have to copy all the files.  Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Lei,

You are correct you only need the contents of the bin-release when using Flash Builder.