Select to view content in your preferred language

Client based Flex Viewer?

08-06-2014 10:55 AM
MathewSuran
Regular Contributor

Is there a way to build applications using Flex Viewer outside of the installation on our server? For example, a client based version that can connect and update the program that is installed on the server?

Also, is there a repository of available custom/standard widgets, other than what comes in the Flex package?

Thanks,

Mat

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Matthew,

I am not 100% sure I understand your question but it sounds like you are looking for something like Application Builder

As far as a list of custom widgets... Sort of...

http://www.arcgis.com/home/search.html?q=flex widgets

MathewSuran
Regular Contributor

Awesome resource for the widgets, thanks.  Didn't even think to do a simple search. 

To clarify the first question, I have installed Appbuilder on our IIS Server.  Since the server is not my primary machine, I have to remote in to use the program.  This would be fine for the occasional maintenance/config but to actually build the applications through remote is an inconvenience.  Maybe I missed something, but is there a way to allow me to build apps on my machine (not the server) and then transfer them over to the Viewer on the server?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Mat,

Sure that is the workflow that I use all the time. I build an app on my development laptop that has IIS (sometimes using App Builder most of the time compiling the viewers source in Flash Builder) then when I am happy with the app I take all the files and move them to my deployment machine (Manually though). There is not a means that I can think of to automatically deploy to your production server.

MathewSuran
Regular Contributor

Bummer, something like an IDE (Eclipse) would be great.  That's what I use for web development and building Javascript apps.  Since Flex is a out-of-box program that requires little to no programming, I don't know how this would work to get up and running. 

Does anyone else use or know of a different method?  I find it hard to believe that in today's day and age, someone hasn't come up with a better way to do this.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Mat,

In GeoNet if you are still looking for an answer but found that some of the reply are helpful than you can mark them as helpful. Here is how: on each reply there is an actions menu link, click that and you will see an "Mark As Helpful" option. Thanks

0 Kudos