Select to view content in your preferred language

Add Transparency Slider to a Layer

10-28-2010 09:56 AM
NeilMillward
New Contributor III
I am trying to add a Transparency Slider to a layer in my layer list but I cannot find any information on how to do this in the concepts. Is this something that is easy to do?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
20 Replies
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
It's not easy ... as you probably figured out based on the lack of responses 🙂

It is however something we are thinking about adding to a future release of the Flex Viewer. So I just wanted to throw out some related questions:

Would it be best (or at least good enough) if users could  set the transparency on all operational layers (as opposed to them only being able to change the transparency on some of the operational layers)?

Should this functionality (layer transparency for end-users) be the default?

Should it always be there, or is something you would want to be able to turn off (not allowing your end users to change the transparency)?
0 Kudos
NeilMillward
New Contributor III
Hello Bjorn,

Thank you for responding. In answer to your questions, I think that it would be a good idea to have a transparency slider as the default on all operational layers but give the end user the ability to turn it off if they wanted to.

Another thing that seems pretty basic to me that I don't seem to able to do is hyperlink to a document (in my case a pdf) from the infopopup window.

Is this possible to do? If not could you consider also adding this function to a future release.

I would like to thank ESRI for putting together the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex and supporting it. It is a great benefit to the GIS Professionals who are not programmers but are under increased pressure to get our data out to the public at minimal cost but with a professional looking product.

Thanks

Neil Millward
0 Kudos
ChrisBruce
New Contributor III
I'm looking for this functionality in the version 2.1 viewer as well but I'm confused by the statement that this is something that may be added in a future version. It was already there in a previous version (like 1.4) but seems to have gone away now.
0 Kudos
ErwanCaradec
New Contributor III
Hello,
i was looking for this functionnality too, i made a draft modification based on the  standard LayerList Widget for exploring the possibilities.

I think an alpha slider and a "zoom to layer" button would be interesting on top layers if they are checked as visible.

code

Erwan
0 Kudos
RichardDiaz
New Contributor III

... I think an alpha slider and a "zoom to layer" button would be interesting on top layers if they are checked as visible.

code

Erwan

Erwan,

Could you please repost your code zip file.  It is coming through corrupt on download.

Regards...Rick
0 Kudos
DasaPaddock
Esri Regular Contributor
Can you try downloading it with a browser besides IE if that's what you tried?
0 Kudos
RichardDiaz
New Contributor III
Can you try downloading it with a browser besides IE if that's what you tried?

Thank you Dasa!  It was an Internet Exploder issue.  Firefox worked.

Best regards...Rick
0 Kudos
ErwanCaradec
New Contributor III
Caution Rick,
use it only for test, it is not well coded.

Erwan
0 Kudos
KevinThomas
New Contributor II
Erwan,

That is great!

Bjorn,
Like others, I would like to see this out-of-the-box at the layer level with the option to disable.

thanks!
Kevin
0 Kudos