Add operational layer from ArcGIS.com created with ArcGIS desktop

Jump to solution
10-30-2012 03:58 PM
ErikBourdon
New Contributor
Good day,

I would like to create an operational layer and present it on top of a base map using Viewer for Flex.

I created a map of canadian health regions in ArcGIS desktop and used the "Share" feature which allowed me to upload the map as a package into ArcGIS online.

I thought I could then open Viewer for Flex and add the layer to my map but when I go to Step 2 (Operational Layers) and try to
select a layer from "My Content" in ArcGIS online I find nothing.

How do I create an operational layer and make it available for Viewer for Flex?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Erik
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Erik,

Unfortunately what you are trying to do is not possible, all you can do with AGOL is add the whole of the web map in as part of the map tag. Quote taken from the concepts page:

Use the <map> tag itemid property. The itemid property refers to the item ID of a web map from ArcGIS.com. The Viewer can access and view published web maps from ArcGIS.com. For more information, see About ArcGIS.com Web Maps. Note that you cannot add basemaps and operational layers when using a web map.

Regards

Anthony

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Erik,

Unfortunately what you are trying to do is not possible, all you can do with AGOL is add the whole of the web map in as part of the map tag. Quote taken from the concepts page:

Use the <map> tag itemid property. The itemid property refers to the item ID of a web map from ArcGIS.com. The Viewer can access and view published web maps from ArcGIS.com. For more information, see About ArcGIS.com Web Maps. Note that you cannot add basemaps and operational layers when using a web map.

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
ErikBourdon
New Contributor
Thank you very much Anthony for your response.

It's disapointing but your clear answer is very helpful.

Maybe you can help me understand Viewer for Flex better. All those operational layers that can be added to the base maps; how do people create them and make them accessible?

Couldn't I create such an operational layer and what tool would I need?

I am looking for a "simple" way to create maps with different layers and then make them available as part of a website. Maybe Viewer for Flex is not the right tool.

Thank again for your help.

Erik

Erik,

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Erik,

To publish your own operational layers you would need to invest in a Geo Server, ideally you would use ArcGIS Server as this is what the API is designed to work against, but you can provide a limited capability using something like geoserver.

If you do not want to go down the line of buying your own server and software have you tried using ArcGIS online? If you have money that you can invest a subscription account may suit your needs.

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
...in ArcGIS desktop and used the "Share" feature which allowed me to upload the map as a package into ArcGIS online.

In ArcMap, instead of Share As->Map Package, use Share As->Service.
0 Kudos