Select to view content in your preferred language

Velocity vs. Geoevent

07-14-2023 01:33 PM
JoshBillings
Frequent Contributor

Hi all,

As an organization, we are trying to decide between using Geoevent and Velocity. We realize a major difference between the two is that Geoevent uses in-house servers while Velocity uses servers provided by ESRI. 

Are there any other major differences between the two? Would you recommend one over the other? Why?

Thanks for your input!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JeffSilberberg
Frequent Contributor

Josh, 

I support customers that have geoEvent and others with Velocity -- 

I do not feel there is a straight you should do one or the other, it greatly depends on the tasks at hand, the support you might get from IT and your organization's IT policies.  

But happy to do a call with you next week and discuss some of the pros nd cons of both if you want.

Jeff - 

PeterNasuti
Esri Contributor

Hi @JoshBillings thanks for the question. Posting a link from the documentation below and adding some thoughts on the end.

ArcGIS Velocity differs from ArcGIS GeoEvent Server and ArcGIS GeoAnalytics Server in many ways, including product capabilities and business model. On a high level, GeoEvent Server and GeoAnalytics Server are on-premises software, while Velocity is a software-as-a-service (SaaS). Other differences include the following:

• Velocity has built-in high availability and disaster recovery.
  • Velocity is deployed automatically, taking only 30-60 minutes to get access.
  • Data stored by Velocity is stored in the cloud.
  • Velocity is not directly extensible due to its nature as a SaaS.
  • Velocity is geared toward operations and geospatial analysts as opposed to just GIS administrators.
  • Velocity is offered via a subscription as opposed to a software license.

Additionally:

• Velocity has a redesigned and updated user experience including analytic validation that will protect the user from misconfiguration
  • Velocity offers big data analytics to process data sources that can contain anywhere from small amounts of data to hundreds of millions of features
  • Velocity offers the use of easily configurable Arcade expressions in multiple tools including Calculate Fields, Map Fields, and other tools

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions on the differences