Velocity write to layers owned by different account

11-14-2022 11:15 AM
AndrewRudin1
Occasional Contributor II

Currently, if you want a Velocity Analytic to write to a layer, the layer has to be owned by the same account that owns the analytic item.  Please make this more flexible so Velocity can write to a layer owned by any account, as long as the analytic owner has edit rights to it through the typical AGO methods (share through group, hosted view with edit rights enabled, admin access).  

This would make Velocity layer management more in line with how standard layers are managed, so the same rules can be applied regardless of how the layer is editing. And it would allow teams that have SOP's in place for layer editing to avoid having to create workarounds for workflows where Velocity will be the service editing a layer.

For an example, I'm currently acting as the Velocity lead for my organization, but we have dozens of GIS data admins in our org managing GIS layers, maps, and apps for their teams.  For a current project, I am building a real-time analytic that reads a data feed from a 3rd party, and then I want to slice and dice that data and split it up so each team has a layer that's a subset.  Then that team can manage the layer itself as they need to (symbology, sharing, etc)....and Velocity is just the data writer.  However, because of this limitation in Velocity, if I'm going to be the one managing the Velocity services, I've also got to own all the layers that are the outputs.

1 Comment
PeterNasuti
Status changed to: Under Consideration

@AndrewRudin1 Thank you for submitting this idea and the use case/workflow that explains the need!

We have entered this as an enhancement request in our internal system and will be reviewing a path to consider implementing this as an enhancement for a future release. This idea will be updated going forward if/when implemented.