Workflow for clearing zoning errors

Jump to solution
12-07-2022 12:27 PM
MelanieNeedle
New Contributor III

Who has a good workflow for clearing ArcGIS Urban warnings for addressing "maximum number of allowed units exceeded"? I don't totally get how to fix this. I am guessing it has to do the with the building types parameters. I am concerned that clearing the warnings is going to result in a unique building type for every parcel in my study area which is going to amount to hundreds of building types. 

Would not having a residential density set be one to address this? 

I need to get the allowed units correct because I am associating the total units allowed under zoning with a threshold for sewer capacity. 

Thanks! 

-Melanie

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrendenDrumm
New Contributor II

Hi @MelanieNeedle ,

Thank you for these questions! Let's try and break this down so you can explore the necessary options.

When you generate a building, the maximum number of dwelling units will have no effect on the resulting building. This means that if the building is built as high as is allowed by other parameters (eg. FAR, height), Urban can show a warning, only if the built number of units is exceeding what is allowed afterwards. Additionally, the number of dwelling units allowed on a parcel is calculated based on the density of the dwelling units in the zoning type. And the number of dwelling units in a building is calculated based on the gross floor area per dwelling unit on the space use type

Now, if what is built is higher than what is allowed, you have the following options:

1. You can manually edit the building in the space editor

2. Edit the building type (e.g reduce floors, smaller footprint) and then reapply the building

3. Change the unit size (gross floor area per unit)

You may explore these options in the space use type configuration window, see attached screenshot.

In general, Urban will not 'produce' hundreds of building types. However, if the user is manually editing a generated building, they may lose some flexibility as the manual edits may be lost.

Hope this helps! And feel free to reach out if you have any other questions 😊

Brenden

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BrendenDrumm
New Contributor II

Hi @MelanieNeedle ,

Thank you for these questions! Let's try and break this down so you can explore the necessary options.

When you generate a building, the maximum number of dwelling units will have no effect on the resulting building. This means that if the building is built as high as is allowed by other parameters (eg. FAR, height), Urban can show a warning, only if the built number of units is exceeding what is allowed afterwards. Additionally, the number of dwelling units allowed on a parcel is calculated based on the density of the dwelling units in the zoning type. And the number of dwelling units in a building is calculated based on the gross floor area per dwelling unit on the space use type

Now, if what is built is higher than what is allowed, you have the following options:

1. You can manually edit the building in the space editor

2. Edit the building type (e.g reduce floors, smaller footprint) and then reapply the building

3. Change the unit size (gross floor area per unit)

You may explore these options in the space use type configuration window, see attached screenshot.

In general, Urban will not 'produce' hundreds of building types. However, if the user is manually editing a generated building, they may lose some flexibility as the manual edits may be lost.

Hope this helps! And feel free to reach out if you have any other questions 😊

Brenden