Shapefile misalignment (DMS to DD)

10-22-2019 10:49 AM
SeulaLee
New Contributor

Hi, I am currently working on several different shapefiles, and most of them has its projection information, and displayed with decimal degree values. However, this one shapefile that I am working with does not have spatial reference and projection information, and it seems like its disaplying units are in DMS. It not an excel file or something that I can use convert coordinate tool, It's just that I want to change the DMS to DD and realign the shapefile to match the original extent. 

Is there any solution to this problem?

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DominikAllemann
Esri Contributor

Hi,
I would suggest that you first assign a spatial reference/projection information to your shapefile.

If after doing so your shapefiles still don't align, I would say that this has something to do with the original data (e.g. data is not exactly covering the same spatial extent). 

If this question is just about displaying units, please be aware that in ArcGIS Pro you can easily switch between different formats for displaying the units: in the Map window just hit the arrow at the bottom of the window to the right of the coordinate display and choose whichever format suits your needs best. 

You posted your question here on the ArcGIS Urban Geonet Space. 

If you are having more detailed questions regarding spatial referencing of shapefiles, please feel free to refer to the ArcGIS Pro Geonet Place (ArcGIS Pro ) - there it is more likely to find corresponding experts than on this GeoNet Space dedicated to the product ArcGIS Urban :-).

Thank you,

Dominik

0 Kudos