Tracks View shared with everyone still asking for login

Jump to solution
03-20-2020 10:12 PM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

We have a tracks view feature layer that I've shared with everyone and added as a layer in a web map/web app. However when that layer is turned on in the web app, the display immediately switches to the AGOL login. Can tracks not be shared with everyone? I see the location service does not allow this but I thought with a view it allows you to enable sharing with everyone. The tracks layer currently shows the layer is shared with everyone but something is not allowing this.

Is this a bug or am I missing a setting? 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kathy,

Yes, the track views have additional security measures in place on top of the standard options available. This was an intentional decision to ensure a persons location (which is often classified as Personally Identifiable Information)  was not accidentally shared with the incorrect people.

We originally did not plan on having track views shared publicly but there are some cases like the one you mentioned where it does make sense. It's something we're keeping an eye on and may address in the future.

We anticipated that the tracks would be analyzed and the results would be shared as a new layer, as a opposed to directly sharing the tracks. But since the standard analysis tools don't work with the track data in ArcGIS Online at this time, I can see how this is less than ideal. The ability to directly analyze tracks in ArcGIS Online is on the roadmap. You can however, export the track data and use ArcGIS Pro to analyze the data and publish a new feature layer.

Do you have any concerns with privacy if the tracks were publicly available? We could consider an option in the future to hide certain fields like "created_user" in a "public track view".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm not sure why you get prompted to sign in. However, the track view layers will not really work when shared with everyone. This is because they have editor tracking enabled and also require the "view location tracks" privilege. Since an anonymous user will not have that privilege any queries to the service will return a 403 error (with ArcGIS Online):

{"error":{"code":403,"message":"Cannot perform query. Invalid query parameters.","details":["User privilege 'portal:user:viewTracks' is required to query tracks."]}}

The next update of ArcGIS Online will be blocking track views from being shared with everyone.

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Thanks Aaron for the quick reply.

I understand on the tracks location layer having editing enabled but I thought the view could have different sharing privileges enabled for views different from the original feature layer and in this case the 'location layer'. However from your response it sounds like the track view that is created for an AGOL user collecting tracks is not a typical view.  Instead even though the track view created is called a view it is different than other views created in AGOL and will be restricted because of editor tracking enabled within the view and "view location tracks" privilege.

I really wish there would be a way to eventually share the tracks with everyone. It sounds like we need a view of the tracker view? We are using the tracker app for surveys and the data being collected is public data on a fishery. The tracks layer is beneficial in showing the public where the survey took place. At the moment I was sharing for other coworkers to view survey results. We don't currently have Portal set up in our organization and not all staff have AGOL licenses. We were excited to share the data in an interactive map but then realized on the error after I had sent it out web app link since I do have privileges to view and I didn't get an error on the tracks layer when I shared with everyone.

Thanks,

Kathy

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Kathy,

Yes, the track views have additional security measures in place on top of the standard options available. This was an intentional decision to ensure a persons location (which is often classified as Personally Identifiable Information)  was not accidentally shared with the incorrect people.

We originally did not plan on having track views shared publicly but there are some cases like the one you mentioned where it does make sense. It's something we're keeping an eye on and may address in the future.

We anticipated that the tracks would be analyzed and the results would be shared as a new layer, as a opposed to directly sharing the tracks. But since the standard analysis tools don't work with the track data in ArcGIS Online at this time, I can see how this is less than ideal. The ability to directly analyze tracks in ArcGIS Online is on the roadmap. You can however, export the track data and use ArcGIS Pro to analyze the data and publish a new feature layer.

Do you have any concerns with privacy if the tracks were publicly available? We could consider an option in the future to hide certain fields like "created_user" in a "public track view".

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Thanks Aaron,

For our surveys at least for this project there are no concerns with sharing the layer publicly. For the work around I have did create a new feature layer and have been uploading the downloaded tracks to that layer for sharing in the web app.

Thanks for all your replies! I sure appreciate the responses as all of this is new to our group.

0 Kudos
RossCBrewer
New Contributor III

My organization is trying to publicly publish Santa's location as he drives through local neighborhoods during the upcoming covid Christmas season (this is independent of Christmas Day, of course, when his whereabouts are un-trackable ).  Unfortunately, we can't share his real-time Tracker location publicly at the moment.  We look forward to this being available in the future.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

There is a way to work around this. If you copy the track view feature layer url and add it as a new ArcGIS Sever feature layer and save the credentials with the layer, then you can share that item publicly (with the map) and it will proxy the credentials correctly allowing it to be shared publicly. It is not recommended to do this for the tracks layer due to performance limitations that may occur with it being publicly accessible. If you are just sharing the last known location layer, this approach should be okay.

0 Kudos
WilliamRockwell1
New Contributor III

We have a trolley that runs through the City on a circuit. We want to make a public map showing the real-time trolley location. Unfortunately tracker does not allow this. Seems crazy that this isn't an option, when all the pieces are in place.

This could be used across our fleet, including public busses etc, but this "intentional decision" forces us to use additional third party software. 

Tags (1)