Tracks not working in Field Maps despite enabling tracks within Field Maps - Please Help

Jump to solution
03-16-2022 10:44 AM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

We are using tracker for aerial surveys and a biologist just returned from surveying to find out they have NO survey tracks recorded despite enabling tracks within Field Maps. They have been using the tracker extension for the past few years seasonally. The last few surveys they have enabled tracks through the Tracker app (which I know is now deprecated) but they could see the tracks there and we have been able to download from AGOL post-survey. Now today just using Field Maps to control the tracks there is nothing.

I'm attaching the troubleshooting log where you can see on 3/16 8:18 tracks were enabled and then at 3/16 8:47 tracking was stopped. In the log, the tracks are having issues, "Failed to update last known location", "stationary updating LKL service with last location"....repeating the entire time. We are using iPad Pros.

Can you please help us diagnose the issue? At the moment I've told the surveyor to still enable thru the Tracker app since at least we did get tracks collected then versus nothing which is a big loss.

Thanks,
Kathy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kmsmikrud

Yes we were expecting to see tracks between 8:18 and 8:47. The user tried again later yesterday and even though the user enabled tracking they could never see tracks in Field Maps.

Today the biologist removed both Field Maps and Tracker app from the iPad, downloaded Field Maps, and I'm happy to report they can now see their tracks in Field Maps and we have points/lines. I'm not sure of the issue before (same workflow) but removing the apps/downloading again did the trick. Thank goodness!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The "Failed to update last known location" messages are expected since it appears the device is offline. I believe the "Stop tracking" message is only logged if the tracking toggle is turned off explicitly by the person or if the person selected a duration to track for and that duration expired. Is it possible they select a duration and it expired?

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Thanks for the quick reply. The biologist is working offline, so that is good to know that the "Failed to update last known location" messages are expected. The biologist did yes disable tracking at the end of their survey so they were surveying/flying during the time the tracks were turned on and then protocol is to turn off when landing.  I will check on the duration but it was such a short time today it doesn't seem likely they could have expired. Update I just checked and they had selected 4 hours as the duration but this was less than an hour.

Today was the only day they haven't been turning on in the tracker app which is unfortunate since tracks were actually collecting then. Do your foresee any issue with the tracker app interfering with Field Maps. As it stands right now on this device/user the tracker app has been way more reliable.

Thank-you for the help!

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

As long as the same user isn't tracking with Tracker and Field Maps at the same time, it shouldn't be an issue. Both apps can be used at the same time, just don't track with both.

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Ok on a user not collecting tracks in both Tracker and Field Maps, but any ideas why the tracks wouldn't be collecting in Field Maps based on the log attached?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

When are you expecting tracks? between 8:18 and 8:47?

If that's the case, the log messages "stationary updating LKL service with last location" indicate that the device is not receiving new locations and is used the last location it got to try and update the users current location.

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Yes we were expecting to see tracks between 8:18 and 8:47. The user tried again later yesterday and even though the user enabled tracking they could never see tracks in Field Maps.

Today the biologist removed both Field Maps and Tracker app from the iPad, downloaded Field Maps, and I'm happy to report they can now see their tracks in Field Maps and we have points/lines. I'm not sure of the issue before (same workflow) but removing the apps/downloading again did the trick. Thank goodness!

0 Kudos
Mitch_East
New Contributor III

@Anonymous User Can you elaborate on the LKL message and not receiving locations? We just had an instance as described in this thread but not receiving new locations shouldn't have been a problem because while the tracks weren't being collected/drawing the user was collecting geopoints in the map.

0 Kudos
AneteZvaigzneLV
New Contributor III

Can I jump in with a small question - is it possible to use tracking on Field Maps while being offline? 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

From their FAQ:

"Can the Tracker mobile app work offline?

Yes. Once a mobile user has signed in to Tracker and has started tracking, tracks are collected whether or not the device has a data connection. All tracks are stored locally on the device until they are uploaded to the location tracking layer."