Why is a select_multiple question type auto-populating selections for later questions based on earlier entries?

Jump to solution
12-14-2022 09:51 AM
LaurenLederle
New Contributor II

I submitted a separate help topic regarding this specific survey, but did not want to combine the issues. Multiple users have reported data auto-completing in this survey(https://arcg.is/1LGT9P1) on their mobile device and I can replicate the issue myself, but when I complete they survey via a web browser on my computer I don't have the problem.

The issue, starting with questions on page 2 (default north transect option), the user selects multiple choices for the various ground cover types observed at incremental distances. For the 5m distance, they select all the applicable choices, for example choosing bare ground at positions 1, 3, and 4, and doing the same for all the other types observed at that distance sample. When they go to enter bare ground data for the 10m distance, for example maybe choosing only at position 2 this time, the form will auto-fill selections for positions 1, 3, and 4 in addition to the new selection of 2. These auto-fills appear to be reflections of the previous data entry and carries on throughout the rest of the survey, for example, if bare ground 1 was selected at 5m, then bare ground 2 at 10m (but 1 is auto selected), then at 15m bare ground 3 is selected (but 1 and 2 are auto-populated now), etc etc. This pattern does continue through the other pages of the survey too and only observed on a mobile device. I attached a screen recording from my phone.

I'm curious if anyone has experienced this issue? Between this and my previous post regarding this survey, I wonder if I should just recreate the survey from scratch, not saving a new survey from this version. I did publish the survey multiple times as we tweaked the survey design for data entry workflow, would that be a factor? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Almost looks like you are reusing field names.  Need to post the form to see what is up.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Almost looks like you are reusing field names.  Need to post the form to see what is up.

LaurenLederle
New Contributor II

Sorry for the delayed response, I reviewed my form and think that may have been the case. Thank you!