Survey123 without map

01-28-2019 01:21 PM
deleted-user-IHdgY8AJ1G5z
New Contributor II

I know it is better to have this feature than to not. But I wanted to know of any examples of Survey123 being used without the Geopoint Map feature in it and how this can affect the data having no GPS points when being used to edit in in ArcGIS Pro ?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ClaireProctor
Occasional Contributor

Hi Gina,

This is covered in the Survey123 Create Surveys FAQ. Frequently asked questions—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

In short, even a survey without a geopoint will still attempt to capture a point, it just may not be as precise and is derived solely from the device's location.

Separately, if a survey doesn't have any location at all, which can happen if location access is disabled on the device or you use the web app and prevent the browser from capturing a location, the point will save as 0,0.

RogerFarmer1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Gina,

We are using S123 to audit substation asset attributes that have no spatial component.

1. XLSX extract from asset management system
  2. FME into Enterprise SDE GDB
  3. ArcPro; add tables + one polygon Feature Class (a 'dummy' not for surveying or editing)
  4. Create tables for attachments
  5. Create Relationship Classes
  6. Add GlobalIDs, Editor Tracking, Archiving, Attachments
  7. Share Web Layer to Enterprise 10.6.1
  8. Create multiple forms with same submission_URL, choice list and common attributes to survey
  9. Change fields of the attributes specific to each asset type, form_title and form_id
  10. Enable Inbox to edit existing records
  11. Publish multiple surveys
  12. Create Master survey with note questions and HTML tag with URL that opens each asset type's own survey

We can Open the inbox to check an assets attributes, edit if necessary and add image(s) OR Collect new assets with attached image(s).

We didn't intend to edit in ArcPro, so no domains/defaults were created. All taken care of with choices and defaults in the xlsform.

However attributes will still be editable in Pro as free text.

BUT: Two hitches:

1. In the Survey123 website all the surveys point to the feature layer, not the standalone table(s). Peculiar to Enterprise, I believe.
  2. HTML link tag with URL opens the survey in Collect mode. Really important that it would be desirable to open the survey, but with the option to Collect or open the Inbox. I believe this isn't possible OOTB, but would be interested in workarounds or ideas to customize with AppStudio...

Cheers,

Roger.