Hi Esri World,
I created a survey using Survey123 Connect and sent it out. Some users report that they get an error message that says: "String or binary data would be truncated. r/n the statement has been terminated" when attempting to answer a multi-line text question. I changed the character limit for this question from the default to 1000, but that doesn't seem to be helping. Any ideas?
Couple of questions:
This would allow more flexibility for anyone who has to create surveys for clients/managers who have had a 'change of heart' in the direction they are taking after giving initial instruction (like that never happens LOL). Or is there a workaround by adding a new multiline text field in the XLSForm with the required increased character length specified in the bind::esri:fieldLength column? Or any other 'workaround'? Thanks.
In addition to Timna's points, from what I got, we cannot update the field lengths once the survey is publisher, correct?
BUT, here are a few questions:
Hi Diego, Timna,
On Timna's questions:
1) On the maximum length- the max length for a file GDB's field is 2.147 million (see File geodatabase size and name limits—Help | ArcGIS Desktop ); I would presume that AGO could support that as well.
2) On changing field properties while the feature class is empty - this is possible in the ArcGIS Desktop environment using Alter Field—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop . Currently, this is not available in the ArcGIS Online environment.
On Diego's questions:
1) The web browser and field app forms observe the same limitation
2) The field length cannot be directly changed in Survey123 Connect; you would need to delete the field and then recreate it with the new length.
There are other potential causes, but most are related the size of a string field. For example, Survey123 Connect used to publish a select_one question's field with a length long enough to hold the values listed at the time of publishing; if a longer entry was added, that would result in this error as well.
I encountered this error after setting several text fields to "multiline," but not setting the character limit. I republished the blank survey with the character limits set, and it works fine without the error now. I wouldn't have thought to do this without this thread.