Survey123 Question

05-17-2017 06:10 AM
JackOrenstein
New Contributor III

Hello everyone!  we are going to use Survey123 for the first time in our environment, any specifications or special requirements for the Tablets on the field that will be used for collection?  Thank you

0 Kudos
12 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Jack,

I would say just get started with building a survey and do some quick on-site testing to get a good feel for it. Once you get more into it, you will have more specific questions in which you may be able to find quick answers to on GeoNet or other places.

You can watch this hour long video showing tips and tricks, but again, it may be best to initially get started, then start digging into the specific details later:

Survey123 for ArcGIS: Tips and Tricks - YouTube 

Here is a PDF of the slideshow of the tips and tricks

http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/devsummit17/papers/dev_int_181.pdf 

JackOrenstein
New Contributor III

Thank you Adrian, appreciate it.  Yes, I did all this and during testing I used a regular laptop but we would like to use tablets on the field for this particular project, which includes more than 1300 houses.

Just called ESRI support and they are sending me a document with recommendation for hardware (amazing that I can't find a specific document anywhere online describing the devices used on the field for collection)

Thank you again,  Jack

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

That's good to hear! If it is an easy-to-share link that Esri gives you, it would be helpful to share it here for others to see. If it is customized and/or tailored for you and your operation, then it would be ok not to share it publicly. And I agree that it's interesting that you are not able to find docs on specific devices - though this kind of document would be such a 'moving target' that it would be hard to keep it current and not look out-dated on the web.

0 Kudos
JackOrenstein
New Contributor III

Yes, but still should be some type of general recommendations – actually I was looking forward to this site for help from people who actually implemented the tool; not many responses, actually, only you, surprising!

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Sometimes GeoNet can be hit and miss. Give it time and you may get responses. Sometimes it helps to personally bug people who are very active in each category. For Survey123, that would be JTedrick-esristaff‌ and ichivite-esristaff

0 Kudos
JackOrenstein
New Contributor III

Thank you much, yes, I know James he was our Tech supporting nonprofit as us, until his new role last year – just watched one of his presentations on Tips and Tricks that you sent me.

What is your role at ESRI?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Oh, I don't have a role at Esri. I just troll these message boards to see what's new in the GIS world and to hopefully help others with issues that I can help with! 

ChristopherMcClain
Occasional Contributor II

If you want to take pictures as a major component of your surveys you may want to consider iPads.  There is a Bug in Survey123 for android involving camera focus.  There are work arounds and should be fixed eventually but is still a pain.  I would also suggest getting a unit or 2 to test before purchasing a large number.

JackOrenstein
New Contributor III

Thank you much Christopher for your response – do you know if the issue was resolved?

0 Kudos