Survey123 Export Not completing

03-01-2021 09:09 PM
JamesHolland
New Contributor II

Has anyone had Survey123 fail to export? I've been trying to export in every available format and the export wheel animation is all that occurs with no output.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Abdullah_AlFazari
Occasional Contributor

I just tried to export the data as CSV and it worked smothly. Good luck!

0 Kudos
Faris_RassoulliRizal_Wong
New Contributor II

I noticed that my users (with Publisher role) who are members of Shared Update groups in my ArcGIS Enterprise (version 11.0) to which I've shared my survey to (via Survey123 website's Update Survey setting) would have this problem (export not completing ever). 

When I checked my ArcGIS Server logs from Server Manager website, there a severe error logged: "Error executing tool. Export Service Job ID: j4d1d6ebeabeb46ec81b530b9d4199ba7 : ERROR 999999: Something unexpected caused the tool to fail." and "ERROR: Premission denied. Extract capability not enabled in service." (see attached image).

The last error message made me want to check the settings of the hosted feature layer view that was created automatically when I shared my survey to the shared update group in the first place (SurveyName_results). Sure enough, the view's "Allow others to export to different formats." has been enabled. So, what the h*ck is wrong then?

I didn't stop there. Next, I went to check the same setting in the hosted feature layer which was created when I published the survey - it is disabled. I would have expected it to be so because I've only allowed submitters to add new records ie. read access is disabled. Despite this setting, my users have no problem seeing the survey's data in the Data and Analyze tabs though.

One thing that surprised me is when I manually enabled the "Allow others to export to different formats." setting on the survey's hosted feature layer & then tried the exporting the survey's data again from the Survey123 website using one of my user's credentials (a member of the shared update group), it works! The problem with this is, it changes other settings on the layer such as the "What features can editors see?" from "Editors can't see any features, even those they add" to "Editors can see all features" - essentially allowing read access to the layer. I won't have this because my survey is a publicly shared survey (the data is provided by the public). I don't want the public to have access our data let alone modify existing data in the layer.

So, my question to ESRI / @ZhifangWang  is, why does the Survey123 website use the survey's original hosted feature layer for data exporting when a user from a shared update group (not the survey owner or creator) performs the export instead of the SurveyName_results hosted feature layer view?

One peculiar thing, this problem does not happen to members of normal groups (non-shared update groups) when a survey's result is shared to them. Also, I noticed the problem existed when I was on ArcGIS Enterprise 10.8.2. So, maybe this problem has nothing to do with ArcGIS Enterprise (more to do with how the Syrvey123 website operates)?

If I don't get a solution here, I'm opening a support ticket with ESRI Tech Support.