I have created survey templates with Survey123Connect for ArcGIS (v.3.0.14), with extensive use of "select_one" fields.
The domains are mostly defined in the "Choices" worksheet, and sometimes in the "external_choices" worksheet.
In the Field App, Survey123 for ArcGIS, all domains aliases always display OK. Some of those aliases do not display when I view the Feature Service, whether ArcGIS Online or the Survey123 website, or in ArcMap: the field shows the coded value only.
I cannot find why some of the domains "work" (show the alias) and why some don't. All coded values are short, and created in the Survey123Connect Excel worksheet (short values, mostly textual for client's needs, mostly frrom the "choices" worksheet and some from the "external_choices").
Do you know what causes this inconsistent behaviour, and how I can modify my survey design to consistently disply domain aliases?
Below a series of screen shots showing the same fields in Survey123 for Arcgis, and in ArcGIS Online, with the corresponding source Excel cells.
Do the 'KO' questions have a choice_filter? The external select question does of course, but do the others have choice_filters? Survey123 Connect currently does not create a domain for questions with choice_filters. There is an incongruity in other ArcGIS applications that do not read the form file if editing data - the choice filter defined in the form does not carry through to other editing applications, leading to the entire list to be displayed if this were to be a domain. Additionally, in early testing performance issues were discovered with extremely long lists (10,000+ choices) being saved to the domain, which can occur in external_select surveys.
We are considering adding a publishing option to allow the survey author to make domains based for these types of questions/lists in the future.
Thanks for the fast reply James!
I took a closer look at my two surveys after reading your comment - the domains that do not show aliases have two different sources:
I have modified my screenshot above to reflect this.
I also checked the behavior when porting the data into a report:
"choice-filter" dependency appear in the report with the coded value only..if you'd like to have alias when you use choice_filter at first publish form without query in choice_filter, then add it and republish form.