Survey123 - Data Matrix Barcode Scanning Issues

Jump to solution
04-23-2019 06:43 AM
JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

I've had some great success employing Survey123 in the field thanks to previous posting assistance from ESRI staff member Phil Wilson.  If you are reading/watching...many thanks Phil.

I am currently having one issue that I cannot seem to clear the hurdle.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8 phone for barcode scanning.

Our electric meters contain two barcode types; the typical "UPC type" and a Data Matrix version.

Unfortunately, I am unable to scan the Data Matrix.  When I center on the barcode using my camera nothing happens.

Can anyone please advise on the appropriate steps for solving this issue?

Thank you in advance.

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jeff,

Is your survey configured to scan both types of barcodes?

See this article for instruction.

If scanning fails, the first thing to check is if Survey123 is configured to scan the type of barcode you are targeting.  Use the menu button in the top-right corner to configure the scanner.   You can configure the barcode scanner to scan any of the supported types if you like.

Regards,

Craig

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CPoynter
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jeff,

Is your survey configured to scan both types of barcodes?

See this article for instruction.

If scanning fails, the first thing to check is if Survey123 is configured to scan the type of barcode you are targeting.  Use the menu button in the top-right corner to configure the scanner.   You can configure the barcode scanner to scan any of the supported types if you like.

Regards,

Craig

JeffDavis7
Occasional Contributor

Hi Craig,

Thank you for the link.

I did access the menu options, unfortunately I was attempting this in the wrong screen.  You actually need to initialize the barcode to get its corresponding screen and then use the menu inside that window.  Sure enough Data Matrix was not selected as an option.  I turned everything on because only a few were selected by default and it works perfectly.  A caution to others having the same issue is to make sure you are actually on the right screen.  The more complex barcodes do take a little longer to register in the unit, but it does go through.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Jeff

0 Kudos