Survey123 custom URL & Windows Browsers

11-28-2017 07:31 AM
TomSchwartzman
Esri Contributor

Should the Survey123 custom URL (e.g. arcgis-survey123://?itemID=89bc8c7844e548e09baa3aad4695e78b) work on Windows as a link in a web page?

On my Windows 10 machine, this seems unrecognized by the browser to open the Survey 123 app.  Perhaps it is only meant to work from within other programs (e.g. collector)?   

Is there a way to do this? Open the Survey 123 native app (windows) from a browser link?  I realize I can get to a web version of a survey, but that's not what I am looking for.

Thanks,

Tom S.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone gotten this to work?  We may have a few that just bought new Dell windows tabs and want to use them.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Doug,

Just to check, you are not able to open Survey123 by opening a browser and typing in arcgis-survey123:// ?  Are you able to view the registry and check for the registry key specified above?

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Sorry been out of town.  Will try to dig up a windows tablet again.  I think it was not having admin rights to install that was doing it but been unable to test.  They do not let us into the registry here.

thanks

0 Kudos
JamieLambert
Occasional Contributor III

I had the same issues using Chrome and IE - I could not get the Windows version of Survey123 to launch on my Desktop from a URL in a web map. John's comments about where Survey123 should be installed was the key for me:

"Also, for your information, only the default Survey123 install directory will work. It can't be changed."

For my original install I changed the default location. I reinstalled Survey123 using the default location (I didn't bother uninstalling the existing install or doing any registry edits). Worked perfectly after that. I assume the URL is looking to launch the app from a specific location. If the app is not in that location, regardless of it being install on your machine, it assumes you need to download and install it first.

This is what my URL looks like:

https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/5862fd859a4a4da7b32d32c7ae7156ba?open=native

EmilyZeilberger
New Contributor II

Hi All, 

I have the same workflow of trying to open a survey123 form from a windows browser, but my issue is passing the attributes to the survey. I have field personnel opening the survey123 from Collector and those attributes pass just fine. 

This is my link in Collector for the field --

arcgis-survey123:// itemID=2312f213a1914b388fc056c5ac0bf485&field:size_of_backflow={USER_Size}&field:manufacturer={USER_Manufacturer}...

This is the link I'm trying in my web map to open survey123 --

https://survey123.arcgis.com/share/2312f213a1914b388fc056c5ac0bf485&field:size_of_backflow={USER_Siz... 

0 Kudos
EmilyZeilberger
New Contributor II

I can open the survey123 link in my broswer, but no attributes pass over.

0 Kudos