Survey123 Beta Report Error on Repeat field

03-12-2019 12:47 PM
deleted-user-5MTyXPMg0TSw
New Contributor II

I am trying to create a report for an individual record that was collected in Survey123. I created a report template a few weeks ago which was based on the "sample template" that I downloaded at that time. When created, the report template seemed to work fine.

However, now I am getting the following error:

Error: Failed to parse "${FrontDamage1}". Field "${FrontDamage1}" does not exist or cannot be found in current parsing scope.

I double checked to make sure that field existed in the xlsForm that I used (it does) and also tried using a newly-downloaded sample template as my report template. The steps I take for this are: download sample template, Upload new template, navigate to just-downloaded sample, error shows up.

One thing worth noting is that this field "FrontDamage1" is part of repeat that is conditional. However, there are other fields in that repeat that are not throwing an error.

I have attached a snip of the xlsForm I'm using that shows the field and repeat, a snip of the sample template that I just downloaded from the Survey online, and a picture of the survey "pop up" that shows those conditional fields and pictures that the error claims don't exist.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rosemary

Thanks for the error messages and details. This looks like it's being caused by a known issue where a report template will not generate if a field name inside a repeat contains the repeat name (in this case the string 'FrontDamage' is the name of the repeat and also in the names of the text question inside it). We are working on a hotfix for the website which should be released soon. I'll post any updates to this thread. Please see more discussion on this here (including a workaround).

Thanks & regards,

Jim

New Contributor II

Thanks so much! I'm glad there's a patch coming, but it also sounds like an easy fix for me to implement right now. I can easily change the names of the fields inside the repeat to something else. No problem!

Thanks again, especially for the fast reply!

JodyZhengLiu
Esri Contributor

Hi Rosemary,

The hotfix is released which should fix this issue, could you please have another try?

Thanks,

Jody Zheng Liu

New Contributor II

Hi Jody Zheng Liu,

I just tried it again and it works perfectly! Thanks so much for the fix -- I was going to republish the survey with different Repeat names, but haven't had the time. Out of curiosity, do you think this would have impacted some of our ability to submit the surveys? It never really submitted consistently on one of our devices....

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Rosemary

Great to hear the feature reports are working for you now (thanks Jody!).

This issue should not have had an impact on submitting survey responses. Which device and version of the field app were you seeing the issue with submitting a survey? What inconsistencies were you seeing? Is the issue still occurring?

Thanks & regards,

Jim

New Contributor II

Hi Jim,

Thanks so much for contacting me about the submission issues. The issue we had was only on one a device -- it was an Android phone and the user was accessing the survey through the web, not using the app. However, I tried it on other devices and yesterday, we all went out together to make sure it wasn't user error and it worked perfectly on three different devices, three different users. 

For now, everything is working really well -- the survey looks great, the report looks FANTASTIC (if I do say so myself), and everyone is very happy with the results. I'm inclined to think that whatever was going on was user-related.

Thanks for a great tool!

Jim-Moore
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Rosemary, great to hear everything's working well!

Best regards,

Jim 

0 Kudos