Saving Draft Surveys Online

05-30-2019 01:27 PM
GraceBeaujean
New Contributor III

Hi, 

We have made a rather long survey that we are asking participants to use this year when filling out their annual report. The users are external to our organization so they do not have ArcOnline user names or passwords. Therefore we will be sending them a url to the public survey that they can access and complete on the Survey123 Online platform.

As this is a rather long survey, they may not have the time/patience to complete it all in one sitting. As non-member users who willing be completing this survey online, is there any way they can save their progress/draft and return to the survey/url at a later date? Essentially, is there a Drafts functionality when completing a survey online?

Thanks! 

Tags (3)
8 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Grace,

Thanks for the suggestion!  This is an enhancement that is being discussed for Survey123. Would you expect most people to continue the survey on the same device, or would your survey be likely to have different parts filled in in different contexts?

0 Kudos
GraceBeaujean
New Contributor III

Most likely on the same device, yes. Or possibly on different computers, but always through a web browser. 

Thanks for the response, James! I'll keep my eyes peeled for any new update coming down the pipeline. 

0 Kudos
ChrisCzerwinski
New Contributor III

To add to this questions, how stable are draft surveys (with photo captured) if kept on a mobile device for a while?  For an inspection survey for example, an inspector may have to come back to the site a week later to complete some work.  Can we expect the draft survey to remain as it was left a week or two later with lots of use of the app in between?  Other than device memory, what other concerns should I consider?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Chris,

The drafts are not touched unless opened, so that should be stable.  One concern with iOS devices is if the app is deleted; when that happens, the data is also deleted.

0 Kudos
GraceBeaujean
New Contributor III

Hi There,

I'm curious if this original discussion has been pushed forward as an enhancement for Survey 123? 

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Grace,

We are looking to bring the ability to have a draft survey with the webform in a future release - we'll update this thread once it is ready for testing via the Early Adopter Community.

0 Kudos
JannSamuels
New Contributor II

Hi -

Just checking in on this enhancement. Has any progress been made?

Thank you

0 Kudos
IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jann. In the Survey123 website, open the Collaborate tab. In the Share survey section you will find a new Draft mode which you can enable.

0 Kudos