Repeating Groups that are not relevant still write to the tables

05-30-2019 06:06 AM
RussellSturm
New Contributor II

Is this by design or a bug?  Here is an example that is causing some heartburn.  In a survey I have a repeating group that is conditionally required.  If the user doesn't need that section it is not shown.  However I am still seeing a record being inserted into the table.  If the repeating group is not relevant I wouldn't expect it to insert a record into the table.

To explain further here is our example.  The questions in the repeating group are related to how many plants were counted in the sample and how many plants were found in the sample that are affected.  i.e.  They count 500 plants and found 2 with the condition we are looking for.   We default the values of those questions to aid with user entry to 500 and 0 respectively.   When the record is inserted for the repeating group that is not relevant it inserts the defaults of 500 and 0.  Then, when I look at the data it makes it appear that they did the counts and found 0 affected plants.  

From my testing I am seeing this behavior in 3.3 and beta versions of 3.4.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
NirmalOjha1
New Contributor III

Hi @Anonymous User 

Thank you for looking at this.

I have several surveys with nested repeats. I am going to try another way if that works; use formula to calculate the required. But, it may not make any different.

Regards,

Nirmal

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @RussellSturm @NirmalOjha1,

Just letting you know we have recently updated the 3.14 beta builds on the Early Adopter Community and the next release will include major improvements to the expression calculation engine, new calculation modes, improvements to loading relevant questions and repeats, and other fixes to repeats, nested repeats and repeat count. With these improvements we see faster loading surveys, increased stability, less crashes and ability to optimize calculation workflows.

The issue you reported above with non-relevant groups and blank records being submitted, should now also be resolved with latest 3.14 beta builds.

Please refer to this blog post for more details: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-blog/arcgis-survey123-3-14-beta-is-now-available-for/...

Direct link to EAC announcement: https://earlyadopter.esri.com/project/article/item.html?cap=e69ef91f45744b98882c651f7b518eb7&arttype...

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
NirmalOjha1
New Contributor III

Thanks @Anonymous User  for the updates. I will check those.

Nirmal