Select to view content in your preferred language

Publish Update

01-05-2017 10:59 AM
jaykapalczynski
Frequent Contributor

I have an existing project that I have been collecting data with.

I need to add a field in Survey123.

When I go to publish it tells me that it exists and I might loose all my data that I collected.

Does it really delete all the records and attachments?  What can I do?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jay, 

If you add the new field to the Survey123 feature service in ArcGIS Online first (make sure the name/alias and type are the exact same), then you'll be able to publish the new survey with out any errors or loss of data. I've done this a lot but I'd recommend testing this first on on your side just so you know it works for you!

How To: Add a field to an ArcGIS Online hosted feature service  

Carmel

0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Regular Contributor II

Jay:

To add to Carmel's suggestion, I would FIRST download your survey data as a FGDB from ArcGIS Online so that you have a backup of your earlier survey work.

Carmel:

Thank you for the insightful workflow for adding a field in an ArcGIS Online feature service table to match a simple modification coming in Survey123.  However, if one's Survey123 modification includes a new Group, then that creates corresponding new related tables and relationship classes in the hosted feature service.  New related tables and relationship classes cannot be created via AGOL, correct?  If this is true, then readers of this thread should take note and understand the limitations.

Thank you

CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Good shout! Yes adding a field in Online is only suitable for simple changes.

Carmel

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Joe, a small clarification - a new group does not create a new table, a new repeat will.  If you take a look at the schema view in Survey123Connect, you shouldn't see any evidence of the group entries- they're a visual/organizational device only.

0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Regular Contributor II

James - Thank you for the correction.

0 Kudos