Pasting favorite answers causing BIG issues.

Jump to solution
11-04-2016 08:34 AM
JonathanPendleton
New Contributor III

I have come across a large issue with my recent surveying. My survey has a lot of data points that stay the same throughout other survey form entries. In order to speed things up, I decided to try and use the "paste answers from favorite" feature. However every survey that I used the feature on is now bugged and wont upload to the survey123 website. This is a HUGE issue.

It seems to be an issue with how the "paste answers from favorite" feature handles the media in the survey. My survey form has two images. When pasting the answers from the last survey, it also pastes the two previous images. Because of this, I had to delete those photos and add current photos. Every survey that I performed these actions on is now bugged. When I try to send the surveys to the website, it hangs on the "adding attachment" stage of sending the survey. So I decided to open one of the bugged surveys in the survey123 app to look at it. All the normal data points in the survey are intact and functioning properly. But the photo's are not there. I suspect the name/storage address of the photo somehow doesn't get changed correctly and the survey is looking for the wrong name or the wrong storage location for the photo.

I need to fix this asap. I know there is a way to manually choose pictures with the file browser in the survey123 app. However the file browser doesn't seem to be configured correctly. The default location for my file browser goes to "/storage/emulated/0/pictures". This location is empty. The previous folder button or the "up arrow" in the browser does not take me to the previous folder. It appears to do nothing. I suspect if I was able to find the right address I could re-add the photos that are lost in there somewhere and fix the surveys. Could any of you point me in the right direction to solve this issue?

This happened to two REAL survey jobs that need to get done. I need to fix this asap. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I did some further testing.  I was able to reproduce in 1.8, but was not bale to reproduce in 1.9, which is coming out later today.  Please try out 1.9 and see if it addresses this issue.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JamesTedrick

Could either of you provide the XLSForm that you are experiencing this error with?  I'm trying to replicate the error so we can identify it and am not succeeding with the survey I'm creating based on Jonathan's description.

0 Kudos
JonathanPendleton
New Contributor III

James,

Here is my survey form. You should be able to reproduce the bug by doing the following steps.

1. Open new survey, fill it out and add required photo attachments.
2. Select "set as favorite answers".
3. Finish the survey (but do not send it to the website yet).

4. Open a new survey.
5. "Paste answers from favorite".

6. Delete the two previous photos that get added.

7. Add two new photos.

8. Change a few data fields.
9. Save and finish survey (but do not send it to the website yet).

9. Go to the outbox and try to send all surveys at once. The first survey should send find. However the survey that had the answers pasted inside should produce the bug and hang on the "sending attachments" stage of the upload.

After doing this you can use the "edit survey" option to open up the survey. If you look at the picture entries they will not be there. They will behave like there are pictures inside but they will not show them. (On a side note, I tried to just delete the pictures all together just so I could send the surveys and that did not work either. All this did was give me an error code: 498 Invalid token.)

I hope this tracks down the issue. Let me know if you need anything else from me. I'll help any way I can.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

I've taken your survey and attempted to duplicate using the Survey123 client on my computer, an iPhone and an Android phone (Moto G 2014) - I'm not seeing the application hang on subsequent submittals with new images.

Going back to other parts of your problem, the photos taken in Survey123 aren't stored in the default pictures folder.  Given what you described above, they're probably at 

/storage/emulated/0/ArcGIS/My Survey Attachments/
JonathanPendleton
New Contributor III

Thanks for checking out my issue. Sorry you were unable to find the bug. Maybe it's something specific to the hardware/software I am using. I am using a Samsung galaxy tab S2 model number SM-T810 running android version 6.0.1. a few more people will probably have to come forward with this issue in order to figure it out I guess.

Also, I tried the storage location and it worked like a charm. However, I had so many photos that I probably wont be able to match them to their corresponding surveys. But the storage location will be helpful in the future.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

I did some further testing.  I was able to reproduce in 1.8, but was not bale to reproduce in 1.9, which is coming out later today.  Please try out 1.9 and see if it addresses this issue.

JonathanPendleton
New Contributor III

That's great news! Hopefully this will fix my issue. I'll test it and report back here.

0 Kudos
JonathanPendleton
New Contributor III

I just updated my survey123 app on the tablet from 1.8 to 1.9 and it indeed fixed the issue! Thank you so much for your help James.

0 Kudos