Select to view content in your preferred language

'ODK Validate Warning' and potential concerns.

Jump to solution
02-15-2017 08:57 AM
TL2
by
Occasional Contributor III

I need to use spaces and other not recommended characters in the 'name' & 'label' field because I can't have my 'name' (when they are less than attractive) items be displayed in the instance_name (which should actually be instance_label).  Basically my name and labels need to be identical for the instance_name to display with some pleasantry. Otherwise name of b1 and label of Beat 1 leaves me with a instance_name of "Beat: b1" when it needs to read "Beat: Beat 1".

What are the potential issues that may arise when using spaces and other unrecommended characters? it is only a warning...  and I can use spaces in coded value domains so I am not sure the issue.  

Also, is there less chance of issue if I choose NOT to 'Create coded value domains from choices'?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tucker,

The warning is generated because the XForm specification (which is what XLSForm is translated to) specifies that spaces should not be used- XForms/Select1 drop list - Wikibooks, open books for an open world  provides a reasoning based on the use of values in calculations for urls.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tucker,

The warning is generated because the XForm specification (which is what XLSForm is translated to) specifies that spaces should not be used- XForms/Select1 drop list - Wikibooks, open books for an open world  provides a reasoning based on the use of values in calculations for urls.