Null integers reported as 0

Jump to solution
10-17-2017 03:12 PM
Trippetoe
Occasional Contributor III

Whenever we have a data type of integer that has a null value reported on the survey (for fields that are not required), the actual data value that is stored for the field is 0.  Is there some setting or some such that we need to set so that null values are reported as null instead of 0?

Based on some of our older data, this is a new 'feature'. We have records from older surveys where null integers are indeed reported as null instead of 0.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tom,

I was able to reproduce the issue that you mentioned above, and have logged a defect in technical support on your behalf.  The defect is listed as the following...

BUG-000109011 - Survey123 for ArcGIS field app does not prevent blank required integer type questions from being sent which results in 0's being recorded as the submitted value.

One thing to note, is that a blank integer question should still reflect a blank value when not listed as 'required' and not within sequential iterations of a 'repeat'.  The behavior seems to occur when a value is initially placed in the integer question, and then removed, or when an integer question is present within a repeat.  Please let me know if you desire any further clarification.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tom,

My I ask which version of Survey123 you currently have?  Also, if possible, can you share an XLSForm which exhibits this behavior? 

Thank you,

Brandon

0 Kudos
Trippetoe

Hi Brandon.

Thanks for your reply.

We recently updated to 2.4.72 - windows and android.  I can't say absolutely that the problem started with the upgrade but it seems coincidental.

If you give me your email address, i'll send a copy of the xlsform.  I do know the Survery123 team has a copy of the form as they were helping us with some debugging efforts in the last 10 days or so.

I am going to see if i can find an older version of the app to test against in the meantime.

0 Kudos
Trippetoe

Hi Brandon.

I dug up an  older version of Survey123, version 2.3.29. When i submitted a survey using that version, 'null' integers are displayed as null/empty - not as 0.  THis behavior does seem to be related to the version of Survey123.

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Tom,

I was able to reproduce the issue that you mentioned above, and have logged a defect in technical support on your behalf.  The defect is listed as the following...

BUG-000109011 - Survey123 for ArcGIS field app does not prevent blank required integer type questions from being sent which results in 0's being recorded as the submitted value.

One thing to note, is that a blank integer question should still reflect a blank value when not listed as 'required' and not within sequential iterations of a 'repeat'.  The behavior seems to occur when a value is initially placed in the integer question, and then removed, or when an integer question is present within a repeat.  Please let me know if you desire any further clarification.

FinnianO_Connor
Occasional Contributor II

Hi BArmstrong-esristaff‌, just to add that I am also observing this behavior when data is entered through a web browser and not the field app. A zero value is stored in all fields that are defined as an integer if a user does not enter any data. This happens without ever entering a value for the field (different to what you describe where an initial value is removed or the integer is within a repeat). Quite a problem for some of my forms as zero is a valid answer (as is a null value) so the data being stored is misleading.

Cheers,

Finnian

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Finnian,

I did test, and was able to reproduce the issue that you mentioned with the web form.  I will go ahead and log a separate defect for this and post a reference to it below.

0 Kudos
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

BUG-000109060 - Surveys submitted via Survey123 web form are reflecting 0's as the value for integer questions left blank

0 Kudos
FinnianO_Connor
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for the update Brandon

0 Kudos
JosephAlberts
New Contributor III

This appears to still be an issue as of 2.5, correct?

0 Kudos