Select to view content in your preferred language

Linking a separate survey123 survey to an exisiting feature layer to relate to one another by GlobalID

Jump to solution
02-02-2024 02:58 AM
Poppy_s
New Contributor

I currently have a point dataset that will bet used to collect data in the field, however, I want to use survey123 to collect additional (and optional) data using a survey123 form. I would need to be able to link this survey back to the hosted feature layer (by globalID).

The issue I'm having is that the point would be placed first (and relevant data collected) I would then like it to link to the optional survey (setup in the point popup) and populate a globalID field in this survey to be able to relate it later on. I'm struggling to correctly 'push' forward the globalID from a point into my survey123. Would anyone have any ideas how to achieve this?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I have a couple ideas depending on how you want to go with it, mainly how do you want the additional questions stored.

You could create the form by referencing the feature service and then hide or make read only any questions you don't want people to see or change from the base layer. You can add any additional questions directly to the feature layer here. This will keep all additional information in the original layer table. You could use hosted views to hide them from other apps if you don't want them there. 

Or by creating a repeat in the survey form which will create a related table directly with the hosted feature layer. You would use URL parameters to pass the information.

You could use URL parameters to pass the globalID to a field in a brand new survey as well which will store the additional info in a completely separate feature layer.

To get started, check out the blog for URL Parameters and the basics on how to integrate with other apps here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I have a couple ideas depending on how you want to go with it, mainly how do you want the additional questions stored.

You could create the form by referencing the feature service and then hide or make read only any questions you don't want people to see or change from the base layer. You can add any additional questions directly to the feature layer here. This will keep all additional information in the original layer table. You could use hosted views to hide them from other apps if you don't want them there. 

Or by creating a repeat in the survey form which will create a related table directly with the hosted feature layer. You would use URL parameters to pass the information.

You could use URL parameters to pass the globalID to a field in a brand new survey as well which will store the additional info in a completely separate feature layer.

To get started, check out the blog for URL Parameters and the basics on how to integrate with other apps here.

0 Kudos
Poppy_s
New Contributor

Fantastic thank you! The URL Parameter was exactly what I needed:

https: //survey123.arcgis.com/share/<survey ID>?field:<field to pull global ID into>={GlobalID}