Hanging when trying to publish update to Survey123 form

Jump to solution
04-20-2018 11:07 AM
TaraBoswell
New Contributor III

I made two quick updates to one of my Survey123 forms (I've made many updates to it and had no problems prior to this) about a week ago and since then I've been unable to publish the updated version. When I click on the Publish button in Connect, it successfully goes through Checking Feature Service and then brings up a dialog box letting me know the survey has already been published and that it sees I'm trying to add a field not already present. I click on the button to "Add the following fields when publishing" and then click on "Publish Survey". At that point it just hangs and nothing happens.

I found a post where someone had a similar issue and you said to go to the Survey123 Connect settings and turn on logging. I did so and am attaching the log file. That post also asked the user if the form item was removed or changed location. I did notice at some point that my FS and form item were not in the Survey123 folder and moved it back there. I'm pretty sure I've successfully published updates since then. On the off chance I was mis-remembering, I put them back and tested it again but it still hung.

Any thoughts?

Tara Boswell

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @OrçunAkkay @Ann123 @TaraBoswell @Jing_Sun @MJBiazar,

Just letting you know that BUG-000113652 has been fixed in the latest 3.13 beta builds available on the Early Adopter Community, so it would be great if you can test out the latest beta builds by adding a new question/field only to a repeat (related table) in your survey and publishing from Connect. The app should no longer hang and the publish process should be successful.

Regards,
Phil.

View solution in original post

34 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tara,

Are you still having the issue regarding re-publishing surveys? If so, what OS version are you using, and what version of Connect?

Phil.

0 Kudos
TaraBoswell
New Contributor III

Hi Phil,

Thanks for checking in. I ended up submitting a ticket for it and it got resolved, but I forgot to post the info here, so here it goes....

The issue was from a bug in Survey123 where if you add a new question, within a repeat, in an already published survey, the updated survey won't publish. The workaround, until the bug is fixed in a future release, is to create a dummy question outside of the repeat, then publish (it will work then) and then you can delete the dummy question and republish.

-Tara

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tara,

Thanks for confirming and yes you are correct. That bug has already been logged and we have it in our system, and we are hoping to have it resolved in a future release. As you mention if you only add a new field to a repeat it will not publish, but if a field is also added to the parent record section (outside repeat) at same time it will publish fine.

Phil.

ThomasPerriment1
New Contributor III

Hi Phil,

I'm currently having this issue, however even when adding a new field outside of a repeat upon publishing it hangs (Action: Adding fields to Survey: 1, Status: Information). Do you have any advice? The last time this happened I had to make an entirely new survey and copy everything across (which obviously isn't ideal).

Thanks,

Thomas

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Thomas,

What version of Survey123 Connect are you trying to re-publish your survey with? Are you adding a field to both the parent and related table at same time?

Phil.

0 Kudos
ThomasPerriment1
New Contributor III

Hi Phil,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! I'm currently using 2.8.4, and yes I've added a dummy field at the end of the survey (parent) as well as within repeats.

Thanks,

Thomas

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Thomas,

I have just tested with a simple survey with Connect 3.0.128 and I am successfully able to add a new field to the repeat in my survey, provided I add a new field to the parent layer at same time. Upon re-publishing, the fields are added the parent layer and repeat table, which I can confirm in the feature layer and related table in AGO.

What type of dummy field did you add to the parent, and what type of field are you trying to add to the repeat? Can you provide some screenshots of the error or provide your xlsx form, as the issue could be caused by something else specific in your xlsx file?

Phil.

0 Kudos
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Has this bug been resolved in the current version of Connect (v. 3.3.51)?

We have a survey that has been published; we needed to add two new Integer fields, within two separate repeats. We added a dummy field (text) in the parent layer. When we attempt to publish this, it hangs. The survey folder has not been renamed, and all of the forms/feature layers are stored within it.

Attached is my log file.

Thanks,

Erica

Erica
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Erica,

Can you test with latest 3.5 builds on EAC. This bug should be fixed, but there may be some cases where adding fields to repeats only fails. So then you need to add a new question to parent layer at same time. If you are using repeat count or other more complex configurations, it may still fail.

In this case the best option is to add the fields you want to the feature layers via AGO or Pro (or ArcMap) and ensure they are set up correctly with names, fieldtype, field size etc that is supported by Survey123, and then once they are added just add them to your xslx file in the repeats and it will see those new fields and be able to republish.

Phil.

0 Kudos