Excel Hangs at Opening SOLVER.XAML (100%)

05-07-2019 05:17 PM
neiden
by
New Contributor III

Curious thing here & have spent the last hour troubleshooting without luck. I was working on a S123 form earlier in the afternoon, editing and publishing, adjusting the form w/o any trouble, and out of the blue - Excel won't open and hangs at "Opening SOLVER.XAML (100%)". I can't kill it via task manager because it's not in the list of applications running. 

I've tried restarting my computer, and uninstalling/reinstalling Survey123 Connect (v3.3.51) w/o luck. Running it on Win10. Also tried disconnecting from my company's VPN to see if that made a difference - it didn't. Spent time Googling the error and nothing came up. 

The only thing that gets the form to open in Excel is by launching Excel from the taskbar, but not sure if that'll break things if I make edits and save. 

Ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Nicole,

I haven't heard of an issue opening Excel in the way you describe.  Could I ask that you try dialing the Solver Add-in (File > Options > Add-Ins > Manage Add-Ins > uncheck Solver and click OK) and see if this still occurs?

0 Kudos
neiden
by
New Contributor III

Thanks James! I gave that a try and Excel just hung for a couple of

minutes. I disabled all the add-ons I had and now Excel eventually opens

after ~30 secs, so while it sucks to wait, at least I can make progress.

It's strange how it just started happening out of the blue. I know it's

hard to say, but do you think a fresh install of Office would help? Guess

it couldn't hurt?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Nicole,

I am unsure what is occurring, but a fresh install of Excel would be something to try.

0 Kudos
neiden
by
New Contributor III

Thanks James - I'll give that a try. ~Nicole

0 Kudos
neiden
by
New Contributor III

Update...my co-worker mentioned that sometimes things go funky when she's been working on a form, so she creates a new survey, and copies everything over (copy+paste) into the new Excel sheet. 

I tried this and it resolved the issue, not sure why, but it did. Excel now open from Connect in a blink, just as it was before the mystery issue occurred.

0 Kudos