Edit Survey123 data in ArcMap?

Jump to solution
04-19-2018 07:26 AM
HélèneTouyéras
Occasional Contributor II

After several days of fieldwork, our crew is happy with Survey123 ease of use. They nevertheless made a few mistakes, and some bulk correction is necessary. I loaded the feature service in ArcMap (10.4.1), but the service is not editable (see below).

I am logged in AGOL with the same credentials as used to design the survey, and am able to edit the data in AGOL... very puzzling! 

Are all Survey123 feature service impossible to edit in ArcMap, and if not, what is triggering this behaviour?  (ArcGIS Desktop version? Feature service structure/content?, other?)... help!!

ArcMap Editor stating the Survey123 feature service is not editable

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I know with Hosted Feature Services from ArcGIS Online, that you have to Right-Click on the Hosted Feature Service name, then go to Edit Features, then click on "create Local Copy for Editing". This will create a local copy on your computer that will allow you to start editing the features.

When you complete your edits, then you will have to right-click on the hosted feature service name again and then select "Synchronize edits to local server" and this should push your edits back into the hosted feature service that Survey123 created.

HOWEVER, I STRONGLY recommend trying this on a test data set first to ensure there are no issues with this workflow; as I have NOT tried this with a Survey123 generated HFS.

Alternatively, you could use ArcGIS PRO to make the edits to the Hosted Feature Service through direct connection. You have to be careful as you are working directly with the "Live" data set.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I know with Hosted Feature Services from ArcGIS Online, that you have to Right-Click on the Hosted Feature Service name, then go to Edit Features, then click on "create Local Copy for Editing". This will create a local copy on your computer that will allow you to start editing the features.

When you complete your edits, then you will have to right-click on the hosted feature service name again and then select "Synchronize edits to local server" and this should push your edits back into the hosted feature service that Survey123 created.

HOWEVER, I STRONGLY recommend trying this on a test data set first to ensure there are no issues with this workflow; as I have NOT tried this with a Survey123 generated HFS.

Alternatively, you could use ArcGIS PRO to make the edits to the Hosted Feature Service through direct connection. You have to be careful as you are working directly with the "Live" data set.

Good Luck!

HélèneTouyéras
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Mike, I had a look and found the Edit menu in ArcMap - I'll wait for this week's field survey campaign to be over to backup the data and modify it. Many thanks for your help!!

ArcMap menu for editing S123

TomBell1
New Contributor III

I have a very similar situation, and need to do some "bulk editing" of Survey123 Data in ArcMap.  When I try to "Create Local Copy for Editing," though, I get an error (see picture below).

could  do the edits I need to do in Excel or in ArcMap, but am not sure how to do so in either.  If y'all have any ideas, I would be appreciative.

Thanks,

-Tom Bell

0 Kudos
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I thought this could be a workflow but it does not work: 

- Exporting the survey123 gdb from the survey123 website (data tab)

- Edit what needs not be edited in ArcMap

- Re-publish the feature service with overwrite -> not accessible  for overwrite