Select to view content in your preferred language

Duplicate Surveys Issues

02-27-2017 12:11 PM
RonKnepper
Occasional Contributor II

Ok so I have used Survey123 since its original Beta and there have been huge improvements.  This past week was the first time I have used it in production in a larger scale, collecting about 250 surveys.  I am doing some post processing of our data and I am noticing several duplicates. Some are complete duplicates of all data including the exact same times where the data is the same but some of the attachments are missing. 

This is much better than loosing data (though I do have 1 survey that never seems to have shown up but could be user error).  These all have at least 5 attachements and limited to Large size in the survey.  The user who uploaded did say each day he would upload on wifi at home and of the 50 surveys each day a few would fail and he would resend them.  I am guessing these are those.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
RonKnepper

Ok digging into my data, I even have 1 location that ended up with 9 points.  They are all full data but for the attachments they should have 5 photos but ended up with just 1 or 2 except for 1 with all 5

RonKnepper

Have been busy with other project work but we are back on this project this week.   Any idea on these problems?  I haven't checked our data for this round yet.  I am pretty sure this issue is due to upload failures, I thought this was fixed prior?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ron,

I'm not completely sure what is going on- the only thing I could think of is that your users did multiple submissions (perhaps part of the attachment upload failed and a resubmission was attempted?)

0 Kudos
RonKnepper

No it is definately failed uploads, I had it happen to me and to have that many isn't likely user (I was with him when submission).  It is definitely failure during uploads of photos.  Yesterday he lost service during upload and had to cancel the app which then caused duplicates.

0 Kudos
RonKnepper

Starting to go through the data from last week, again a lot of duplicates.  It is definitely when the uploads fail, one duplicate will have all data and all photos and the other will have all data and only 1 or 2 of the photos.  I would guess so far about 20% or more surveys have been duplicated

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Ron, 

Thanks for the update.  Based on your description, I think I can adequately describe the problem as a bug to address.  To clarify a little bit more, can you tell me if there is a GlobalID and/or a rowid field in the feature layer's fields (If you haven't done this before, go to the My Content page in ArcGIS Online, open the feature layer item details (it'll be in a folder names survey-<NAME>, and click on the 'Service URL' link.  The list of fields will be displayed on the next page).

0 Kudos
RonKnepper

This was created a long time ago and updated several times since

• objectid (type: esriFieldTypeOID, alias: ObjectID, SQL Type: sqlTypeOther, length: 0, nullable: false, editable: false)
  • globalid (type: esriFieldTypeGlobalID, alias: GlobalID, SQL Type: sqlTypeGUID, length: 38, nullable: false, editable: false)
0 Kudos
RonKnepper

Any updates on this?  We are hoping to push out our work to the entire state which would mean multiple crews and a much larger amount of data coming in down the road which means a lot more duplicates to try and fix

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Ron

I've categorized this as a failure to detect when surveys have been been submitted but the attachments fail to submit in part or entirely.  At this time, we don't have any particular timeline to address it.  A couple of suggestions:

- What resolution photos are submitting?  If you are forced to submit in low connectivity areas, the settings should be small or medium to minimize picture size.

- Encourage the workflow to delay submitting of data until in a known good location, like the office (or coffee shop) with wifi.

0 Kudos