Creating a report template narrative possible?

03-14-2022 07:07 AM
EricaLynn
New Contributor II

I am trying to figure out if there is a way to create a narrative in the report feature template (as opposed to tabular format). I have watched several training videos and read blogs, but they only show me how to do table format and I need/want to create descriptions in paragraph form. Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You could do this with a bit of dynamic text, or even an Arcade expression. Does the narrative follow a pretty standard format, or do you need it to adapt to the feature values somewhat?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
EricaLynn
New Contributor II

I just saw your response! Thank you for responding. I have a narrative that a pretty standard format for every building-

"This is a XX style building that is X-stories with X-bays and features a X roof. The exterior walls are clad with X and the foundation is X. Decorative detailings include X, X, X, and X." 

Then that is modified, as needed, for any buildings that have more elaborate or unique detailings. That isn't the exact narrative, but an example as what I am playing around with. I know that I can create a report template and create this after the fact, but it is clunky and almost defeats the purpose of trying to automate each individual resource. I know that an expression can be done for a calculation, but wasn't sure how or if I could do this for a few sentence narrative.

I'm not even sure if I'm asking what I am trying to achieve in the correct manner.

0 Kudos