Calculate not working with Survey 2.7

04-24-2018 03:10 PM
RenatoSalvaleon
Occasional Contributor III

When I upgraded to the latest version of Survey my calculations did not work. Basically this calculation is base on a number of integer questions (36 integer questions) 

Each integer question is a calculation of a product of two previous hidden questions. The multipliers (two of them) are from two previous hidden questions that are retrieved from pulldata.

if I uninstall 2.7 and re-install 2.6.9 the calculation works. The behavior is the same for all the other users of the form.

Below is screenshot from 2.7

Screenshot from version 2.7.72

Below is screenshot from 2.6.9

Survey 2.6.9 screenshot

Screenshot of the survey in Excel is below white the red box is where the calculate questions are not working.

Form

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Renato,

Are any of the calculations based on questions that are not relevant? Starting with 2.7, questions that are not relevant are not calculated (as they should not submit values).

RenatoSalvaleon

JTedrick-esristaff‌, when you say "relevant", do you mean there's a value on the relevant column of the question or because the bind::esri:fieldType column of the question is null?

What's the alternative? What's the logic for removing the feature?

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Renato,

By 'relevant', I meant the value of the relevant column.  Relevancy, while visually is represented through the hiding or showing of a question, also denotes whether a question has been asked or not.  The Survey123 product team believes that submitting data for questions that have not been asked is an error state, as it does not truly represent the form as understood by and submitted by the user.  There are non-visual questions (hidden/calculate) to perform calculations that are not visible; these make the intention of the form designer for a non-visible question clear.

RenatoSalvaleon

James Tedric, thanks for the quick response and your explanation.  The problem is my relevant questions are at the group questions and there are questions inside the group that are being use for dynamic calculation. Each relevant group is triggered by a previous select_multiple question.

The sums that I'm calculating have addends from questions inside each group whether their questions were asked or not.

Below I show 3 groups that have relevant columns. If two of these groups were not asked and one of them is asked, the calculations highlighted in yellow would still calculate for the sum of the questions from relevant group added to the zeroes from the questions of the groups that were not asked. It still works in 2.6.9 but I would surely would love to move up to the new version.

As far as I recall this was my workaround for cascade selects and the maximum questions that can be published.

0 Kudos
RenatoSalvaleon

JTedrick-esristaff‌, please give this issue a second look by reading my last reply. Thanks!

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Renato,

My apologies, I was busy yesterday with the Esri Live Training Seminar on Survey123 for ArcGIS.  Is there a reason the calculate questions are in a group if they always need to function (or need to function under different relevant conditions than the group)?  Can they be removed from the group?

0 Kudos