Select to view content in your preferred language

Question on Alias Fields in road layer

12-28-2011 06:11 AM
MichelleLewis
Deactivated User
Hi there - My GIS work is tied to a multi-agency public safety dispatch system. Due to the software the dispatch system uses, I am limited to 3 alias fields in the road centerline layer.

I am trying to figure out a way to fit more than 3 aliases into this layer, while maintaining only 3 actual alias fields. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Hi there - My GIS work is tied to a multi-agency public safety dispatch system. Due to the software the dispatch system uses, I am limited to 3 alias fields in the road centerline layer.

I am trying to figure out a way to fit more than 3 aliases into this layer, while maintaining only 3 actual alias fields. Any suggestions?

Thank you so much!

You can create an additional table that is related to your roads data via some unique-id. Do not use ObjectID; it will give you trouble.

I have had this same discussion with one of my 9-1-1 center clients; they want a gazillion aliases for a street.  I don't go more than 2 deep; that is the real street name and two aliases.  After that it becomes a maintenance nightmare, a database performance issue, and somewhere along the line you lose the sense of the actual street name.  Just something to think about.
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos