Unable to use WFS or WMS layers in story map

Jump to solution
08-12-2020 05:02 AM
ChristiaanTheron
New Contributor

I have created an online map which is publicly available and works without issues.

This map contains a single WFS (tested WMS as well) layer and a basemap, no fancy things at all.

When trying to include this map in a story map, however, I get the following message:

"This web map does not have any ArcGIS layers."

I resorted to uploading the shapefile to ArcGIS Online and using that in the map, and then the map works perfectly in a story map.

I made a Story Map about a year ago that included multiple WMS and WFS layers, so I know it worked at some point.

So why can I not use a WFS or WMS layer in maps for Story Maps?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello Christiaan -- From your message it sounds like you are using ArcGIS StoryMaps (as opposed to one of the classic templates). ArcGIS StoryMaps uses the latest 4.x version of the JavaScript API for ArcGIS (JSAPI). Unfortunately, this doesn't support all layer types yet.

Please see this reference chart for information about specific features that are or are not yet supported in the 4.x JSAPI (and thus are or are not yet supported by ArcGIS StoryMaps).

In short, WMS is supported, but WFS is not yet supported. As soon as support for WFS comes to the 4.x JSAPI, ArcGIS StoryMaps will immediately gain support for web maps with WFS layers.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hello Christiaan -- From your message it sounds like you are using ArcGIS StoryMaps (as opposed to one of the classic templates). ArcGIS StoryMaps uses the latest 4.x version of the JavaScript API for ArcGIS (JSAPI). Unfortunately, this doesn't support all layer types yet.

Please see this reference chart for information about specific features that are or are not yet supported in the 4.x JSAPI (and thus are or are not yet supported by ArcGIS StoryMaps).

In short, WMS is supported, but WFS is not yet supported. As soon as support for WFS comes to the 4.x JSAPI, ArcGIS StoryMaps will immediately gain support for web maps with WFS layers.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos