Select to view content in your preferred language

Editing legend entries

Jump to solution
01-22-2024 01:27 AM
HelenCooper
Occasional Contributor III

Hi, I have a collection of 10 storymaps (https://storymaps.arcgis.com/collections/3bae1549efe642ec9ab0dd724fcbf8f2) .  One significant change has happened to the legend (I need to rename an entry which appears on most of the maps, to change it from "High Weald AONB" to "High Weald National Landscape").  I have edited the legend entries in the map viewer (not from within the storymap), but those changes haven't come through to the legend that is showing within the storymap itself. 

This quick video describes the problem: https://www.loom.com/share/5739e429acf3448892d246defeee7d2c

The only workaround I can find is to delete each map from the storymap and re-add it, but I'd obviously rather avoid that if possible!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide, 

Helen 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @HelenCooper

Here's some documentation noting this expected workflow:

• "If you have added, removed, or renamed layers in a map, the map must be removed from the story and added again to view the changes." - ArcGIS StoryMaps - Add maps

However, as this post notes, you should be able to edit the name of that layer in the StoryMap map's legend by clicking the layer name in the map designer layer list to alter that layer's name. I understand this can be a bit tedious if you are also changing the layer's name outside of the story, but this will at least save you time with having to remove and re-add the map to the story builder.

--Abby 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @HelenCooper

Here's some documentation noting this expected workflow:

• "If you have added, removed, or renamed layers in a map, the map must be removed from the story and added again to view the changes." - ArcGIS StoryMaps - Add maps

However, as this post notes, you should be able to edit the name of that layer in the StoryMap map's legend by clicking the layer name in the map designer layer list to alter that layer's name. I understand this can be a bit tedious if you are also changing the layer's name outside of the story, but this will at least save you time with having to remove and re-add the map to the story builder.

--Abby 

HelenCooper
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks so much @AbbyE_Esri , I didn't know you could do that!  I didn't expect it to be an expected workflow, but your workaround is a lot easier than removing and re-adding each map!

Thanks, 

Helen