Stream Order

11-17-2014 10:07 AM
MichaelBrown3
New Contributor II

Hello all. I am attempting to do change analysis on 3 stream networks I have. I do not have a DEM so I cannot use the hydrology tools in spatial analyst. Is there a way to determine stream order for my networks? A downloadable arc tool maybe?

I have the networks in both raster and polyline shapefile format. Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Wwhat is the format of your vector data? The reason I ask is if all the stream components were unioned to a single feature the exploded with multipart to single part, It may or may not result in features which might allow you to detect the branch nodes when converted to points.  when converted to raster using an id field, each segment would be given a number which might allow you to fudge a strahler or shreve classification.  I haven't looked at this in years...found old school manual method faster for the networks in our area

0 Kudos
MichaelBrown3
New Contributor II

I have the streams in several formats: Binary raster classification, polygon shapefile, polyline shapefile, point shapefile, and another raster with actual cell values (extracted by mask from the original image). All files are one continuous data in their respective format. In the polyline file, all lines are connected. In polygon file, there is one polygon, etc. The networks I am working with are very delineated so I don't think I should/can determine stream order manually haha.

But you suggest trying to use multi-to-singlepart? Can you expand on this? I don't quite understand.

Thank you for your reply.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

a network of any form, consists of a series of interconnecting paths between point of intersection.  In your case your network will discharge at  one point (ignoring the braided stream exit thingy) and as you head upstream it will branch of according to the surrounding terrain etc.  In your case as well, you network can only traverse in one direction.  If all those branches were combined together.  There are several ways of doing this, but you might have a look at the dissolve tool discussion at that URL and the general Dissolve tool using the OID field to produce a single multi-segmented feature (can also be done in an edit session with ).  That can then be be broken into parts where river tributaries branch using the multipart to single part tool.  At least it is a starting point since what you really need is a flowdirection raster, hence a DEM to produce all the other bits

0 Kudos
MichaelBrown3
New Contributor II

I know....I could only wish I had a DEM though. The DEM method is so efficient. I have done what I am doing several times via that method. But ok, I did do the multi-part to single part and it does break up the polyline file nicely. Actually, its exactly how it would need to be prior to assigning stream order values. But still, is it possible to assign these values in an automated fashion?

Again, thank you for your replies.

0 Kudos
MichaelBrown3
New Contributor II

Maybe there is a way to artificially create a flow direction raster?

0 Kudos