Mosaic to New Raster

Jump to solution
07-24-2014 08:24 AM
SarahNiemczura
New Contributor III

Morning Everyone,

I'm currently working on creating datasets with a uniform extent. This means some of the datasets I have need to be clipped down, and some need to grow and incorporate no-data fill values.

How does one go about this? I cannot seem to get a raster with an extent of -19,38,52,-36 to change to a raster with an extent 90,-180,180,-60.

Any thoughts on how to go about doing this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Set the desired extent in the Environments tab of the Copy Raster tool and create a new raster of the desired extent.  You cannot change the extent of an existing raster, you can only create new ones that meet your criteria

View solution in original post

16 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Set the desired extent in the Environments tab of the Copy Raster tool and create a new raster of the desired extent.  You cannot change the extent of an existing raster, you can only create new ones that meet your criteria

SarahNiemczura
New Contributor III

Hi Sol,

Good idea.

ArcHelp1.tif

I have to essentially have the rasters have the same starting point for someone who wants to use these in MatLab. So the Chirps and Hain ET need to have the same extent and UL as the MODISET. Does that help?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

what coordinate system/projection are your tiff files in? 

0 Kudos
SarahNiemczura
New Contributor III

GCS_WGS_1984

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Possible issues...One of them isn't or it has been defined incorrectly, or they differ in extent.  If it is the latter, then there is nothing you can do since the coverage is what it is.  Reporting on the 3 file extents would be useful as well projection information. 

0 Kudos
SarahNiemczura
New Contributor III

MODIS ET extent is 90,-180,180,-60

CHIRPS extent is 50, -180, 180, -50

HAIN extent is 37, -18, 553, -40

I'm guessing it's the, there's nothing I can do option.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Even if you confirm the extents are what they are, your options are
1  to live with it
2  clip two of the files down to the smallest of the files

SarahNiemczura
New Contributor III

Just realized my MODISET was undefined. Going to have it match the other coordinate systems GCS_WGS_1984 and see if that helps. UGH! It's always been something stupid lately...

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I said the smallest...I suspect that the files are of different extent which means the larger ones need to be clipped down to smaller ones.  Sarah you still need to check the extents to be certain, it is quite possible that defining the projection will still not result in what you want.  As a check, you should really add each layer into its own data frame and have a visual look, then add the other ones in one at a time.  The coordinate system of the data frame is established by the first file added to it...which can have unforeseen consequences.  Good luck

0 Kudos