kriging does nothing

04-12-2012 09:11 AM
MarielaPerignon
New Contributor
Hi all,

I'm trying to interpolate some lidar ground points. Kriging ran for 16 hours and stayed at 0%. IDW was done in 30 min.

Has anyone found that kriging simply doesn't run?

I'm running Arc 10, with SP4, on Parallels on a Mac.

Thanks
0 Kudos
3 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Any special reason why you would want to use kriging on lidar data?

Kriging will take forever when you have a large number of points and it may never finish. I would suggest you look into less memory intensive interpolators. Kernel Interpolation (with Barriers) in Geostatistical Analyst is an example of one that I have used with roughly 4 billion input points.

Steve
0 Kudos
MarielaPerignon
New Contributor
I was trying to use kriging because I have a second lidar dataset for the same area (different time) that was interpolated that way, and wanted to use the same method to minimize the uncertainty that it adds to the differencing between the two surfaces. It's only (that sounds ridiculous) half a million points or so, so I wasn't expecting it to take so long.

I'm going to stick to IDW for now. The error that the change in interpolation method seems to be adding is tiny compared to the accuracy of the dataset.
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
In some circumstances, given the interpoint spacing of lidar data (often 2 m or less) there is no point in doing an interpolation in the first place and simply converting to a grid produces more than suitable accuracy
0 Kudos