IDW Result is NoData After Changing Cell Size

12-23-2011 08:24 AM
JustinEddings
New Contributor III
I am trying to run an IDW interpolation with raster cell size set to 100'.  The expected result is a bathymetry surface layers generated from ~600,000 feature points with field set to meters at a range of 0 to -98.  I have reduced the variable search radius to 6 points because of the high density and total number of points, and resolution detail.  I have run the analysis before with default cell size and not had a problem but when adjusting the environment settings to 100 (with map units in feet) or setting it to a predefined raster, the analysis result is a blank space and resulting <NoData> value, and a displayed scale range of:

Low: -3.40282e+038
High: 3.40282e+038

I have removed the mask from the environment settings and the shoreline barrier polylines from the barrier setting but continue to receive the same result. The default cell size is:

Output cell size: 2.93757125550883E-03

Is there a setting I am missing or this some other error in analysis or processing?  Is 100' being applied as 100 degrees even though the map units are in feet?  Thanks.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JustinEddings
New Contributor III
Hmmm, default cell size changed to a more suitable value once the coordinate system was adjusted.  After i changed environmental settings for output coordinate system from the default to match an existing raster CS with x, y values = 100, 100 cell size (ft) the default cell size changed to 1079 (ft).
0 Kudos
GustAnnis
New Contributor II
I am experiencing the same problem.  I have ArcGIS 10 Service Pack 5.  Whenever I choose something other than the default cell size I get a blank space resulting <NoData> value. 
Any ideas?
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Maps units are meaningless to analysis. Check you input coordinate system.  It's probably geographic so you can't put something like 100 (dd) and expect reasonable results. Project your input, or set the Output Coordinate System in the environment settings to something that uses units of feet/meters.

Best,
Eric
0 Kudos
GustAnnis
New Contributor II
Thank you Eric.  That was it!
0 Kudos