Identify steep slopes not suitable for development

Jump to solution
02-16-2015 04:32 AM
DavidJones18
New Contributor

Hello,

My name is David Jones

I work for a municipality that is currently trying to analyse elevationdata in order to point out where hight change are to rapid to be suitable for new development.

Right now im trying to figure out how to conduct this operation in Arcgis and i do not know where to start.

The input is hight data (raster) and hight curves (lines)

The goal for the output is a 2d map with polygons marking areas where hight change is to steep for new development.

Im currently not secure how to conduct this operation, it would be super if anyone has any tips or tricks.

Cheers

All the best,

Regards

David

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You will need access to a Spatial Analyst extension license or 3D Analyst analysis. If you have this, you should use the Slope (Spatial Analyst) ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)  or Slope (3D Analyst) ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) tool to calculate the slope in degrees of percentage.

After that reclassify (ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) ) or use the Con tool (ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) ) to extract those areas that are unsuitable (slope higher than given value).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

You will need access to a Spatial Analyst extension license or 3D Analyst analysis. If you have this, you should use the Slope (Spatial Analyst) ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)  or Slope (3D Analyst) ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) tool to calculate the slope in degrees of percentage.

After that reclassify (ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) ) or use the Con tool (ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) ) to extract those areas that are unsuitable (slope higher than given value).