How do I derive slope from a very large DEM?

04-29-2020 12:48 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there, 

I'm trying to calculate slope based from a national DEM - USGS 3D Elevation Program (3DEP), found here: 3DEPElevation (ImageServer)  - and am having trouble with the spatial analyst geoprocessing tool given the size of the raster. When I try calculating slope in ArcMap Desktop, I get an error message saying that the file is too large. When I use ArcGIS Pro, it processes up to 5% and then stops. I'm using a VM, so bandwidth is not the issue. Does anyone have any tips on processing national DEMs? Or are there any pre-processed national slope files out there that I could download?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I ran into the same sort of problem recently trying to process just one county worth of imagery.  I cannot imagine the cpu and and memory (and probably graphics memory too) to complete a full country. Is there a way you can get the data into manageable chunks?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

All of the other DEMs that I've found are at county-level or similar, which would be a hassle to patch together at the end. Unfortunately, I need a national slope raster to conduct analyses!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The page you posted suggests you can download the slope map itself, rather than calculating it.

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I just added the url to an arc pro session: not sure how to get the slope data out of it though...

I think I see where Dan lives....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Are you sure you need full resolution on this? Bandwidth may not be an issue, but processing zillions of cells with any neighborhood operator is just a LOT of data to process. Even if you downloaded tiles on the data it would take you weeks I'm sure.

0 Kudos