How can convert polygon to raster without loss?

02-28-2017 07:04 AM
TundeForian
New Contributor

I'd like convert polygon to raster, but I have loss along edges beside every cell size option. I need that every smallest place having a raster value.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

Depending on your polygon you can get better results with a smaller cell size. That may solve some of the 'saw tooth' issues you are having.  Also be aware that if your line does not line up horizontally within a coordinate system that you will continue to have issues like this.  They can be mitigated, but not eliminated. A more appropriate question is what are you trying to achieve with the conversion where they have to match up exactly.

TundeForian
New Contributor

Yes I used smaller cell size, but this didn't solve the problem. (In the backround green polygon, in the front the raster after using the polygon to raster.)

I have some polygons and I try to create special management zones for these. So firstly I use polygon to raster option to create one raster layer, than Boolean layers and some reclassify, after all I use the raster to polygon options. If the first raster layer smaller than the original vector data, this causes lack of information and topology problem. So if I use smaller pixel size, the topology error will be greater at the end of the process. It would be good if the raster layer is larger, "tooth style" is ok. Every small 0,15 square millimeter patches would have values. When I use the raster to polygon I can clip it, so it is unimportant.

0 Kudos
JeffreySwain
Esri Regular Contributor

It sounds like you may be setting up a weighted overlay with multiple layers if this is the case you should probably consider a consistent cell size for all of your layers  and don't forget to use snap raster to avoid cell registration errors. So long as the cell sizes match, then the tool will not have to resample to normalize the data, which may be the issue you are describing.  If you want to create excess perhaps buffering the original polygon some prior to conversion would help. This could give you plenty of room to clip against.

TundeForian
New Contributor

Buffering does not good.  Because the input polygon data have also grid cell style, generated from raster. Other peoples create these input files. The input is one polygon layer only in all cases. I get polygon layer like in the background and I have to create new vector layer from it after resampling process (in the front). I' d like to build a model for it, because of quantity. I'd like to use reclassify by function to normalize data, majority and slice .... on the generated raster; and back to vector. Snap raster is ok.

0 Kudos