Select to view content in your preferred language

Hillshade illumination

Jump to solution
05-14-2017 09:13 AM
LinnHaking
Deactivated User

Hi, I'm working on a hillshade layer of a DEM and want to change the illumination. I opened the Data Frame Properties and the Illumination tab. Here I changed the azimuth, altitude and contrast several times in order to see a change in the Hillshade layer, but no matter the degree, altitude or contrast the picture looks the same. Why is nothing happening?

Many thanks,

Linn

This is a picture of the Hillshade at 315 degreesThis is a picture of the Hillshade at 135 degrees

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

recalculate the hillshade using the different values if you want to see a difference in the hillshades

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

recalculate the hillshade using the different values if you want to see a difference in the hillshades

LinnHaking
Deactivated User

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Linn - Thanks for asking your questions and welcome to the GeoNet community! I wanted to let you know that we're moving your question from the GeoNet Help group to the Spatial Analyst since it aligns with the content there. So you're aware on how and where to post your questions, here's a few quick tips and reminders:

1. First, use the GeoNet search (top right corner by your profile icon) to search and see if your question has already by asked/answered previously.
  2. If not, than we suggest reviewing the GeoNet Community Structure, to find the most relevant space to post your question. 
  3. The GeoNet GeoNet Help group is for questions and tips on how to use the GeoNet community platform not the Esri ArcGIS platform. Following steps 1 & 2 above will give you the best results for getting Esri product questions answered.
  4. This GeoNet 101 "How to Ask Questions on GeoNet" post is also a helpful guide to asking questions: https://community.esri.com/community/help-and-feedback/blog/2016/08/15/community-news-and-tips-how-t...

Thanks again for contributing and I hope this helps and let us know if you have any questions.