HELP: Least Cost Path Analysis

Jump to solution
04-23-2019 03:24 PM
EmilyShepherd
New Contributor

I am trying to do a least cost path analysis connecting two villages on an island. I am following an e-learning tutorial called "Distance Analysis Using ArcGIS Pro".

I created a slope raster from a DEM and I created a vegetation raster from a feature class as well. I reclassified them so they have values ranging from 1-11 (with 11 being the most costly). I keep trying to use the "cost distance" tool, so I can then use the "cost path" tool, but I keep getting an error that says "Something unexpected caused the tool to fail". I have tried clipping the rasters so they are zoomed in on the two points to help cut down on data and making sure they are in the same coordinate system. Nothing is working. 

Can anybody help me figure out what the problem is?

If not, is there a way to create a least cost path using only slope?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

file paths and names... spaces? punctuation? raster type  and destination? (ie *.tif to a folder, esri grid etc)

That cryptic message has more to do with things unrelated to the actual tool, but the environments that you are using.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

file paths and names... spaces? punctuation? raster type  and destination? (ie *.tif to a folder, esri grid etc)

That cryptic message has more to do with things unrelated to the actual tool, but the environments that you are using.

0 Kudos
EmilyShepherd
New Contributor

Are you suggesting I try a shorter file path or changing it to a .tif?

The file names shouldn't be a problem.

0 Kudos
EmilyShepherd
New Contributor

It worked!! I made the file pathway shorter and the cost distance tool worked. 

Thank you for the help!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Glad it worked out... paths and filenames give rise to many seemingly unrelated problems

0 Kudos