Genaralize voting districts (precincts)

07-01-2017 04:12 AM
BrianHovis
Occasional Contributor II

The precincts in my county change every year. I want to classify voting patterns over 8 years. It would be helpful if there was a common shape I could use to compare the precincts over several years. Voting districts (precincts) are comprised at a smaller scale of Census blocks and consistently roll up into legislative districts. Census tracts or Census blocks don't align. Is there a GIS tool about which I should be learning? Suggestions would be appreciated and if there is a group on Geonet exploring voting I would appreciate collaboration.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
BrianHovis
Occasional Contributor II

Hello, I am trying to think of the best spatial analysis tool to use to find multiple precincts (voting districts) within the county that consistently vote for a certain party over an eight year period.  The complication is that the precincts change a little each year, so I can't just compare them directly.

I wonder if I can use the nearest neighbor tool on the different years to find these generalized areas people vote for a certain party.  Any help from someone proficient in spatial analysis would be appreciated.

0 Kudos