Select to view content in your preferred language

GIS Solutions Tutorial?

07-03-2023 07:47 AM
AmyGrossman
New Contributor III

I'd like to take a GIS Solutions package (for example Tree Management) and customize it to the needs of my work (not actually trees). Is there a tutorial online for how to do this? I've looked through the FAQ and the rest of the Solutions website, but don't see anything to general customization of the Solutions. Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gargarcia
New Contributor III

The closest thing I think is their video tutorials of the solutions here: ArcGIS Solutions - Esri Videos: GIS, Events, ArcGIS Products & Industries

0 Kudos
MikeDagle
Esri Contributor

Hi @AmyGrossman - We document common configuration patterns for each Solution. The Tree Management configuration doc is, here.

However, that documentation is written in order to help users configure the capabilities for the domain the Solution is designed to support. We don't document generalizing a Solution although it is possible to do that, at least partially for example by renaming information products. Many users do deploy Solutions in order to learn a pattern and discover how we configured ArcGIS to accomplish a particular workflow then build their own information products following the pattern. That's also a route you might take. 

Is there a particular aspect of the Tree Management Solution you're interested in repurposing? What's the workflow you'd like to support?

0 Kudos
AmyGrossman
New Contributor III

That link is closer to what I am looking for... I'm not up-to-date enough on the various ESRI products to put together the kind of system my work needs, so I thought I would either use a Solution as inspiration or just use it and alter it enough for what we need. However using the Solutions is not intuitive for me and I haven't seen any tutorials in how to use them, although that link you shared is helpful for it. 

Basically I want to be able to do all of the things the Tree Management Solution does but instead of trees, we are inventorying parks. I did look at the Park Management Solution but we are inventorying thousands of parks across the state, so I thought I could use the Tree Solution and then change the wording to things...is that an easy thing to do? 

0 Kudos
MikeDagle
Esri Contributor

In addition to the configure documentation I shared previously, each solution includes how to use documentation which is written to help explain how an app is used by the end user. The Tree Management Use documentation is here. You can also view view a demo of Tree Management (along with several other solutions in the playlist), here.

Your idea of using a solution to get you closer to what you want to accomplish with ArcGIS is a good one. I might also suggest training to help you get acquainted with ArcGIS Online generally. You can find some information on training options, here.

I would suggest taking another look at the Parks and Grounds Management solution since it seems closer to what you'd like to accomplish. From what you've shared, configuring that solution may be a better route. You might also be interested in Recreation Outreach.

0 Kudos