Select to view content in your preferred language

Lost and confused!

10-12-2011 03:18 AM
CatherineHall2
Emerging Contributor
I'm hoping someone here can help me out with some answers. I'm really not sure at all what to try next, so I figure if I explain it someone will have an idea of what I need to do.

My partner works for a company that has a mapping set up of services etc and uses arc reader to access it. it would be useful in my partners line of work for him to have portable access to the maps, so he has hijacked my iPad and we're trying to figure out how he can get the map set up onto the iPad. Now between myself (mac user) hubby (tech illiterate) and the 'guy at the office' (PC user, mac illiterate) it's becoming a bit of a comedy of errors

I can't run the arc reader on my mac, but I do have the folders of files, I'm told the .pmf file is the part that has all the stuff we need. Is there a way for the iOS app to read this file? going in through the apps menu via iTunes, arcgis doesn't allow you to open files from the desktop. Is it something that I should be able to access if I know the correct server address the .pmf file is stored on and had access permissions. Or is this something that I would need to sign up to apple developer program so I can get the existing file onto the his reader app?

Like I said, very confused about this.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
CatherineHall2
Emerging Contributor
Ohh another question about the app development stuff.

So if the council decided a mobile map accessible for iOS devices was a good idea, then they could create (or contract someone to create) an app that opened directly into the same map that is currently accessible via the property enquiry system link on the website? and only into that map. So if someone was trying to look at the map on a mobile device via safari (which doesn't work), it could prompt them to download a huttcity app which would contain an iOS friendly version of the map. That is supposing we actually end up with the map as I envision it

ok, coffee break time

ETA: well while the jug is boiling. Taking the app idea further. I take it that not all apps have to be listed on the apple iTunes, that you can develop apps for use in-house right? so if my assumption in the previous paragraph is correct, they could develop an app for in-house use that has access to the more complex maps and information, and an app that is publicly available via iTunes store that would have all the general information that is of use to the public.

Coffee break now really
0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes correct you could use the API to create your app..
here is a link to the API resource:
http://resources.arcgis.com/content/arcgis-iphone/api
0 Kudos