How do I get access token?

03-05-2023 08:10 PM
TonyAnecito
New Contributor II

Hi, I started getting an error message about login and password not allowing me access to an esri rest service to get access to data for wildfires (NIFC). I had not accessed my esri developer login and when I tried I got invalid password and my login id was still valid. So, I used forgot password and reset it and it asked me some questions and I was able to get in. But now my old generate token fails.

So what do I need to get it to work again? I have read about enabling the token generation but do not have admin access to make that happen. I am doing environmental research and need this data.

Maybe since the data is supposed to be available to the public there is a special way to get it?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TonyAnecito
New Contributor II

I have reached out to NIFC also to get this resolved. I have actually reached out to resolved this issue when I first started many years ago.

0 Kudos
SaraJL
by
Occasional Contributor III

Would you be able to share the link to the REST service and/or the website where you are obtaining the service from?

In my past experience working with these types of services - the tokens are connected to a particular login, so changing the password might mean that you need a new token generated. 

For some public datasets (depending on the company) - it's public, but they still want to track who is accessing the data. So they might make you submit a form before you have a login/password/token for that service. Not sure if that is what happening in this case!

If you don't have permissions to the NIFC server directly, I'm not sure if there is much you can do to generate a new token beyond just contacting them. 

Good luck!

0 Kudos
TonyAnecito
New Contributor II

Thanks SaraJLD. This a a link WFIGS_Incident_Locations_YearToDate (FeatureServer) (arcgis.com)

I did reach out to NIFC so hopefully they will respond. Your reasoning is sound.

0 Kudos