Why would using the Smooth tool in ArcPro (2.3.0) take 54min versus 21 seconds in ArcMap (10.5.1)? I am running on the same machine, same inputs, same output location, and still is unusually slow. I have tried this on another machine with very similar

03-06-2019 01:15 PM
PaulDudley
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
13 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I should add that some of these mp enhancements to hydro tools are also in Desktop 10.6.1.   There is clearly some overhead in the Pro GP environment, because, as I like to say "everything is in the background."

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

each tool if it supports it, may have a description.

see Flow Direction—Help | ArcGIS Desktop way down, for its defaults

0 Kudos
KlintMaliakal3
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I believe the issue has occurred post version 2.1 and has started to occur from version 2.2 onward.

Here is a documentation for ArcGIS Pro's Smooth Line tool:

• "Prior to the ArcGIS Pro 2.2 version of this tool, topological errors could be generated during processing. The Handling Topological Errors (error_option in Python) and Preserve endpoint for rings (endpoint_option in Python) parameters were used to identify these errors. These parameters are still included in the tool's syntax for compatibility in scripts and models but are now ignored and are hidden from the tool's dialog box."
  • https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/cartography/smooth-line.htm

ArcGIS Pro's Smooth Line tool on version 2.1:

• ArcGIS Pro 2.1 Smooth Line GP tool

ArcGIS Pro's Smooth Line tool on version 2.2.3:

• ArcGIS Pro 2.2.3 Smooth Line GP tool

Do notice the difference in the Smooth Line tool's options in ArcGIS Pro 2.1 and ArcGIS Pro 2.2 onward. Specifically the 'Preserve Endpoint for closed lines' and 'Handling Topological Errors'.

Here is ArcMap's Smooth Line tool with the options:

• ArcMap Smooth Line tool

Thanks.

Regards,

Klint

PaulDudley
New Contributor II

#BUG-000120711 Performance issue of Smooth Line Geoprocessing Cartography tool in ArcGIS Pro 2.3   has been "opened" and hopefully will be fixed in an upcoming release.